1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf Head Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by TaxTheDeadLover, Aug 6, 2022.

1. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    Disclaimer: Not a professional, just a city girl with a hobby for taxidermy, please don't leave any harsh comments, thank you

I have a case-skinned wolf and I bought the head form for it (I do soft mounts).
    However, I'm having trouble putting the head in haha
    I tried putting it directly from inside the mouth (front) but it won't completely go in. So then I tried putting it from behind (tail, butt area) but it is stuck at the stomach.

What should I do? Should I cut a slit open at the neck area? I really don't want to cut it though...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Did you hydrate the head so that it will stretch and have you ordered the right size for it?

3. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    Yes I measured but only for the A section.
    I have rehydrated but no matter how much I pull the form refuses to go fully in.
    Are there other ways? Or must I cut it at the neck area? Is there a way to cut the form up and put it in seperately????

4. Frank E. Kotula

If you hydrated it properly and measured correctly then there would be no need to cut anything up as it will slide right over the head.
    Is the flesh side thinned down enough to stretch it as that might be an issue. What where you steps in this process as then we might be a better help.

5. Also was it a regular dry tan or was it just a hanging hide tan? If you have a pair of ear openers like for turning whitetail ears inside out use those to stretch out the area if you have a hard time . Was everything split and turned ? Are the ears right side out ? A pic might be of better help to see ,rather than theory

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If all else fails, this will work. I would exhaust all options first though.

7. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    It is a regular dry tan I believe though I’m no professional. The lips and eyes don’t seem split. The pelt is old though, so possibly more stiff. I have no professional taxidermy tools….is there a regular tool to substitute (ex. Kitchen equipment, utensil, building equipment)? I will try to attached pics right away!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  8. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    Photos

Attached Files:

9. Frank E. Kotula

By the looks of it that cape is not hydrated.
    Now that being said you said it’s old , you may or may not have issues hydrating it. To hydrate and I would do a spot test
    1gallon of water
    4 oz of salt
    1/4 capful of Downey soak for 30 minutes drain and let it sit in fridge overnight as that might be enough to hydrate it , if not repeat.
    Once hydrated you can use a sharp knife to spilt open eyes ears nose lips as you gave a lot of work here and saying this you might end up ruining it also. Then it needs to get thinned down. Again a slide knife is helpful or dremal with a sander on it.
    You’re taking on something that’s going to be a big challenge here . Best of luck

10. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    Thank you for all your help!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  11. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    One more question lol!

What glue do you suggest for gluing a pelt onto a skull? I was thinking gorilla fabric glue but wasn’t too sure so wanted some professional input :)

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Skull or head form?

13. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    Skull, bone.

I finished my wolf this is for a different project : )

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I would.use hide paste.

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

How did it turn out?

16. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    Hmmmmm….needs practice HAHA

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.