1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tannery Slipping Issues.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by BDrake, Aug 7, 2022.

1. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

Anyone else having on here having slipping problems with a tannery in Spring TX?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Hmmm how do you know it’s the tannery? I always see the tannery F up my work but never look into
    How long did the client have it prior to you getting it? Plus the care the client brought it in? It doesn’t have to smell or be green blue for capes to slip.
    Then your preparation? Did it come in frozen and you thawed at a later date?
    Did it come in fresh and was it skinned split turned within hrs of you getting it in?
    Did you send it to the tannery raw, frozen or salt dried?
    So many factors go into a cape slipping and it’s very rarely their fault! Look I’m not saying shit happens cause it does as it’s Murphy law but a reputable tannery stands up for their mistakes!!
    Pickles ( at the right pH) and static tanning never cause at any issues of slippage. This happened prior to a tannery getting the capes. Yes slippage can and usually happens after it’s tanned cause the cell structure has changed but the job of tanning the skin is done. It tans the skin not stop slippage.
    Pickles kill the bacteria but if damage already happened it’s probably irreversible and you’ll see the issues after tanning.
    Now if your sending your capes to a company that’s new or just starting out and have no or very little experience in the rocket science of tanning, then you took the chance and maybe they wont stand up to their mistakes but that’s very rare.
    There’s a lot of reasons why capes slip even fresh ones can slip asap as I’ve seen fresh kill right in front of me and see hair fall right off. The animal had a high bacteria count and once dead well lol lost hair.
    Lets not always blame tanneries for slippage, hair curl cause like us if we don’t do diligence in our business we’re out of it!
    So take a long look at all the steps prior to sending it out as you may find the answer there! JMO

Morris Custom Hides and Tanit1 like this.

3. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

Yeah. I sent them 36 capes, sent another 55 to a different tannery. From the other tannery all came back with no issues. Even capes that I marked as being brought to me late and were showing signs of going bad.
    The first batch came back with 11 slipping so bad they are untannable, many of the other "good" ones have some slipping and bad hair curl.
    Had I not used the other tannery I would agree with you.

Morris Custom Hides likes this.
  4. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Welcome to the taxidermists traditional game of “tannery roulette “.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. If it's the tannery I think you speak of.
    They lost one Texas Mouflon skin out of 5 sent. When I say lost I mean LOST. They had no idea where it went to. I got a $80.00 credit for a lost sheep cape. The good news was that skin just happened to be an extra. The others were customers. Had it been one of those I think the customer would have told me where to stick that 80 bucks. Nor could I have blamed him.