1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

In Search Of Free Damaged Scraps/pelts Of Any Kind

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by SkyyStann, Aug 10, 2022.

1. SkyyStann

SkyyStann New Member

Hi I'm a 16 year old beginner taxidermist and I'm looking to do my first ever mount! I'm broke, and I know this sounds werid but I'm serious. Is there anyone out there who has scraps left over you don't want like mice pelts or damaged pelts- Or random skulls or feet. Basically anything-
    Please let me know.

2. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    Hey we are just the same! Young, passionate, but broke lol. I’m curious, how are you going to do a life size mount with scraps - do you sew them up and create a patched full body skin, then put in form? I’m genuinely curious, since if it works I want to learn your ways and do the same!

3. SkyyStann

SkyyStann New Member

All of the above!

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

The hide is the cheap part , it’s the materials eyes glues threads , base stuff , forms or wrapping materials that will cost y’all

TaxTheDeadLover and Robert Baker like this.
  5. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    Agree with 13 point. A small animal full body form costs hundreds+ CRAZY! And the eyes $15+ not to mention shipping!!!

6. Lisa Chapman

Lisa Chapman New Member

Hey there! I'm somewhat of a novice myself, but I have only just recently moved to larger pieces (since getting a raise at my job haha). When I was just starting, I practiced on feeder rodents from the pet store. Large rats are cheap, easy to skin, and the forms are easy to make with cheap air-dry clay. I fed the meat to local wildlife. It's a good way to practice and get used to the more squeamish things about taxidermy without breaking the bank. If it comes out terrifying (it will the first few!) Oh well, it's just $20 lost.