1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scales Sticking Up On Salmon

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by drwalleye, Aug 15, 2022.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

Good morning all I need a little help. Whenever I'm out to my Salmon's like kings or coho everything goes well up into the point where I'm ready to paint it. I spray a very light coat of sealer on it and the scale start to stick up. I tried to go as late as I can but they just keep on going up. Can I actually take a razor blade and kind of lightly trim off the parts that are sticking up and then start over with the sealer and more of them start to stick up. What do you guys do to keep this from happening. One time I tried to just go right to the painting process but then they started sticking up while I was painting them thanks for any advice

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Do you seal your fish prior to painting?

3. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

Well, that's my problem. I am sealing the fish before I paint. That is when the scale's start to lift.

Clew likes this.
  4. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I have used an iron to lay them back down with good success

5. Clew

York, SC
    Tazzy hit it
    Use hot iron and they should lay down
    But I do spray a very light coat of shellac first, let dry then hit it again

6. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

Ok I will see if we still have a iron around the house.thanks. is it normal for that to happen happen on salmon?

7. Clew

York, SC
    I have not had this issue except an occasional one or two,
    But I do hit my first sealer coat very lite
    What are you using to preserve with

8. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

I use a fish tan from the taxidermy company. And it only happens on salmon and trout. And it's always smooth until I spray my first flash coat of sealer. I'm assuming it's the moisture making them curl?

9. Clew

York, SC
    Just curious?
    Did you look close under the scales?
    See and crystallization?
    Need bi-nocks to see good
    And what sealer do you use?

10. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

11. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

I've used the fish sealer from the magazine for most of my work And tried krylon clear Matt the last couple. Same results

12. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I used Lauquer to seal my fish, usually if scales lifted it was during drying . Is your sealer water based?

Clew likes this.
  13. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Indeed a good question asked is your sealer water base? That’s probably the issue. Try Zinsser shellac. That’ll work much better.

Clew likes this.
  14. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

No it is not water based. I use the super fish sealer it's kind of a red white and blue can by Gary Bowens I see it in just about all the taxidermy magazines I've used it for many years and it works on everything the only trouble I have is with the salmon and trout

15. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Weird as I’ve never seen trout or salmon scales raise from any kind of lacquer. I would just try the other product zinnzer and see if that make a difference. If it doesn’t then there’s something else going on under the skin.

Lance.G, drwalleye and Clew like this.