1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beginners Questions For Maceration..

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Honey the Bean, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Hello again..!

This is actually my first time macerating any big skulls, and I honestly don’t know if it’s going right, or if there are things that can go wrong...? Like..

• Can you over macerate a skull...?
    • Is it okay if there are black parts on the skull..?
    • Should all the cartilage come off too? (Around the eyes, nose, cervical bone connected to the skull etc)
    • When pressure washing, I’m pretty sure you use the gentlest setting, but is there a distance or anything that they should be away..? (And can they be destroyed by the washer...?)

The reason I’m asking, is I checked on my skulls today (like pulled them out of the water) and my deer and goat skulls still need to go awhile, but one of my sheep (haven’t checked the other, or my other deer yet) has turned black in numerous places, and I don’t know if that’s normal or not...?
    **Note: I do not have a heater in the container, the container is inside my shop (which gets pretty warm during the day and maintains the heat during the night), and they’ve only been in the water about 5-6 days? (I felt this info was important to add in order for you guys to help me out the best you could)

I think that’s all...? Please offer any info you can? Thank you so much in advance ❤️

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I've never "over-macerated" a skull. It's extremely hot here now (90's in the day, 70's at night). My skulls are in covered black containers. They are cleaning nicely in 2-3 weeks. I have kept hog skulls in the brew for months, without a change in water. It really aids in degreasing them. The lipolytic bacteria gobble up all the fat in those lower jaw bones!

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You can’t over macerate a skull.
    Make sure you remove as much material from the bone as possible plus make sure brain matter has been removed.
    Never pressure wash as that can and does damage to bones.
    All cartilage will come out or fall off in time.
    Make sure it’s totally covered in water.
    Lot of good information in the skull section here. Read up on seawolf. He’s the absolute master in this subject!

Honey the Bean and 3bears like this.
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    for best /quickest results that water needs to be heated to somewhere between 85 to 95 degrees. I set mine at 92 Even mummified deadheads are usually clean in about a week. If you need more than a rinse, then the bacteria hasn't finished. Cold water will kind of work but you end up with much more coffin wax/fat deposits on the bone

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022