1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oxi-clean Experience

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by cuttindux, Aug 15, 2022.

1. cuttindux

cuttindux Member

Oklahoma
    Does anyone have any experience using Oxi-Clean powder in their bird wash? Any tips, experiences, do’s-and-don’ts?
    I regularly use Tide powder in the wash but recently tried oxi-clean on an extremely shot up and stained snow goose. I quickly noticed when the water hit it, it had a VERY hot reaction, much more so than the Tide. It also created a TON of suds, adding a lot of rinse time and difficulty getting the suds out of the sink. When mounting the snow goose, it seemed the skin had shrunk a good bit. My form no longer fit correctly nor my head. Had to remove both and trim to fit. I’m curious if the oxi-clean could have affected the skin in that way. I have never had that experience in the past when not using the oxi-clean. Coincidence? Any precautions or directions I should know about before using it on another bird? Thank you for any ideas!

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The heat generated by the peroxide in Oxy-Clean probably shrunk your skin. I'd avoid it and use Dawn on waterfowl.

3. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I've never used Oxy Clean. For extremely bloody/stained birds I soak in warm dawn water, scrub blood spots, and if stained squirt with Whinks. Last wash is with liquid Tide with Downy. Rinse 10,094 times, wringing out between each. I know a couple guys that use regular 10% peroxide, but they float the skin in a tub or the sink and just add a couple cap fulls.

msestak and cuttindux like this.
  4. Leonard "Tazman" Qualls

Leonard "Tazman" Qualls Active Member

I'd avoid the OC and stick w Tide. Tide is all I use and I used to useDawn. I use Whinks on stains like blood and mineral burn.

msestak, BrookeSFD16 and cuttindux like this.
  5. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

Quoting Brooke “Rinse 10,094 times”.

LOL. Exactly the number of times I rinse. What a coincidence….

A while back, I washed a turkey twice in Dawn with plenty of warm water rinses. Rinse water was clear. Then, after hearing others brag about powdered Tide, I washed it again in it. The water was brown! That tells me that the Tide will remove stuff that Dawn doesn’t. Since then, my standard procedure is to wash the inside once with Dawn, rinse well. Then wash with Tide at least once, sometimes more. My thought is Dawn for grease inside, Tide for feathers.
    Then rinse 10,094 times.

Blessings,
    WG

6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I guess I go the extra effort...I rinse 10,099 times!! I use nothing but Dawn but am going to try out some Tide. I have used OxCl in the past and didn't like the outcome but don't remember why

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Of all my turkey mounts I have done, the one I tried Tide with is the only one that doesn't shine. It made the feathers appear dull and flat. I went back to Dawn.

msestak, Wildthings and cuttindux like this.
  8. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

All my birds are washed in Dawn and tide and if real bloody I add peroxide. I rinse till water is clean and then one more time just to be sure.
    when I am skinning birds I place the skins in dawn and peroxide ( cheap 3%) and continue skinning till all birds are skinned. Since implementing this my birds are much easier to get clean during degreasing cleaning procedure.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Do you wash in Dawn first and then in tide?

msestak likes this.
  10. cuttindux

cuttindux Member

Oklahoma
    On every bird I do, with the skin side out, I rub Dawn all over the skin and quickly scrub with a toothbrush. I then sprinkle Tide powder on the skin and scrub that in as well. Flip feather side out and rub Dawn all over and scrub with just fingers. Then add Tide powder and massage with fingers. If any pellet holes have stubborn blood/meat I scrub those spots with toothbrush. Rinse like crazy (not as much as Brooke though…). If it needs Whink’s I’ll do it last and rinse some more.

Tanglewood Taxidermy and msestak like this.
  11. cuttindux

cuttindux Member

Oklahoma
    I’ve not used peroxide in the wash. Any precautions to using it? Just not too much I assume?

msestak and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  12. Leonard "Tazman" Qualls

Leonard "Tazman" Qualls Active Member

I have used peroxide just like whinks on the feather side of bullet holes. You know, where it clotted up really hard? It helps to ease the blood up when scrubbing it off the down.

BrookeSFD16, cuttindux and msestak like this.
  13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Years ago I accidentally treated a turkey skin with sodium carbonate instead of borax. The skin immediately got hot, shrunk, and I never got the size back in the skin, even after re-washing. I assume the high amount of sodium carbonate in oxi clean caused your issues. Tide also has that ingredient, but not as much would be my guess.

Wildthings and cuttindux like this.
  14. cuttindux

cuttindux Member

Oklahoma
    Thank you all for the replies. Appreciate hearing your experiences and knowledge.

BrookeSFD16 and Wildthings like this.