1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Difficult Fish Mounts

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Terrys Artistic Taxidermy, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Terrys Artistic Taxidermy Fishing in Chernoble

How's it going, guys and girls? Here's some photos of my more difficult mounts. Unless noted, these were all painted with oil paints with a brush.

Cheers,
    Terry Doyle
    DSCN2436_2_2.jpg

nenue sculpture top backwards (1).jpg nenue sculpture top left.jpg

These are called nenui in Hawaii. The yellow one is called the Queen's fish and can't be eaten. You have to bury it on the beach if you kill one (what the Hawaiian guy who brought it to me to mount, told me.) The yellow phase is about 1 in a 1000. These were rejects from castings. I decided to put them together and see what it would look like. Fiberglass and spring steel wire, 16ga. Around 2001.

Then I decided to try something similar with a mahi mahi I casted 3 times.

DSCN2444_2 copy 2.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG
    Sheet steel and rods are the skeletal structure. Around 2001.

A marine gunnery Sargent from a base on Oahu brought me a 38", 47Lb. Giant Trevally (Ulua)
    he wanted mounted. I mentioned to him how when I lived in New Zealand, I always wanted to mount a 15 to 20 pound brown trout swimming with a 24" eel in it's mouth, with the eel holding up the trout. The next day, the Sargent, who looked like Sargent Rock, brought over this 42" white eel (Tohei), alive in a 40 gallon container and said "Mount it like you said about the brown"!
    So I did.
    sc00050c9f_2_2 copy.jpg
    sc0004f6bf_2 copy.jpg

This was in 2001. The base is a piece of the coral he was standing on when he caught the GT. I used an airbrush on this.

In 2001, The Waikiki Aquarium hired me to mount up some scorpion fish. With the left over moulds and a new one, I did this piece:

lionfish1 (1).jpg
    lionfish2.jpg
    lionfish3.jpg
    Besides about 20 spines sticking out of their heads and the fleshy appendages around
    the mouths, the paint job was very difficult. Just figuring out the bottom layer of camo and then putting the other 2 layers of different patterns and colors was challenging.

sc0004f6bf_2 copy.jpg sc00050c9f_2_2 copy.jpg

Lance.G likes this.
  2. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Terrys Artistic Taxidermy Fishing in Chernoble

Sorry about the double posting of the GT. (I didn't know how to erase them).

Around 2007 I decide to do these trout sculptures.
    IMG_0811_2.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0817 copy.JPG

Once the 3 reproductions are made, they have to be cut into pieces, then steel rods and sheet steel are welded together and then the pieces have to be reassembled, fixed and painted.

These sculptures go with these paintings I did:

20060904_0430_2.JPG

This photo was taken before I made the nicer bases. From what an art history professor at the U. of Hawaii and dozens of gallery directors and salespeople, this is the first time an artist combines sculptures and paintings. Crazy, eh?

A closer shot:

IMG_0560.jpg

Around 2010, I did some more scorpion fish for the Waikiki Aquarium. So I did another triple mount. One old mould and 2 new ones:

IMG_2062.JPG

IMG_2076 copy 2.JPG IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

Well, that's it for now. More to come soon.
    Cheers,
    Terry
    PS: check out my website for hundreds of photos: www.3dwildlifeart.com.

Attached Files:

3. Harum

Harum Active Member

Thanks for posting Terry. Enjoyed looking at your work!
    -Pete

Robert Baker likes this.
  4. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Well-Known Member

Very nice work Terry! Cheers!

Robert