1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrapping/ Binding Method

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Kevwells, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Kevwells

Kevwells New Member

USA
    Looking for some info on Using the real skull for a shoulder mount open mouth. I know how to wrap the neck with wood wool an twine and use epoxy sculpt to make the inside of the mouth and paint it, but the part that’s confusing me is when it comes to making a bottom to lip to tuck the skin. Considering using a oil clay in the lips an gluing to the bottom jaws. Picture of an old spicer fox form guessing they used plaster instead of clay?

Attached Files:

2. GuessWh0

GuessWh0 New Member

Not sure if this will help you at all, but I normally carve the head out of poly.foam then make a mold and cast the teeth, so they end up being like the ones you but then insert into the head. I make a groove and keep testing till its in right. I think your best bet would be to use epoxy clay rather than oil and make the lip around the jaw, let it set up then test fit it, if it fits right then just use hide paste/super glue? to then secure it. Take that with a grain of salt as I never used/tried to use the real skull.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Serious!!!
    Did this in the 70s,
    But a form it will pay for the time you got in real skull
    Unless it’s something you just want to try
    And the one shown is terrible

This is from 1972
    Northwest school of taxidermy