1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Machine

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ratso, Aug 25, 2022.

1. ratso

ratso Member

I am thinking about getting a fleshing machine. Problem is justifying it so I will ask some questions.
    I have been tanning my catches for several years. I use the hides in my crafting items. To tan is simple. To finish the hides for use a bit more work as I use a sanding block. First question. Would using a fleshing machine on wet] tanned hides make for less sanding? Can one flesh faces of fox, Coyote, skunk, and other thin skinned critters with a fleshing machine? These are very important for for what I make.
    I know the machines have a learning curve but I have a fair amount of low value learning skins, nutria. They have both thick and thin areas and damaging a bunch is is like losing pennies.
    Any and all information would help with the justification.
    Ted

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off how many skins are you talking about? 50 or more then yes
    As for doing details you have a lot to learn on them as to learning how to tune your blade.
    Buy the best you can afford as I’m a raw hide or eager beaver machine person. Then you have S&S and a few more . I deal with what tanneries use and I wish I could upload a video I have doing a baby fox here

Robert Baker likes this.

3. ratso

ratso Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I can only guess on the number of hides I tan. 50 Coyote, 45 fox (few red mostly grey), 50 skunk,,50-60 coon, possum(10-50), less then 10 mink, 2-10 beaver. Nutria as needed, have tanned as many as 200 but have 80 or so finished now. 150 in the freezer.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It’s worth getting a quality machine you won’t regret it.

Robert Baker and livbucks like this.
  5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You can pay for it in a flash if you'll flesh, shave, and tan deer capes. Every taxidermist wants a good and dependable fleshing source.

Robert Baker likes this.
  6. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

You will last much longer in taxidermy if you get one.

Robert Baker likes this.