1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's On Your Workbench September 2022

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Sep 1, 2022.

1. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Drake woodie that will have a hen flying out of the knot hole .Tommy 20220906_163043.jpg

2. May I ask a newbie question...? I mean, I am fascinated by all of your mounts, they’re all beautiful!!

I’m interested in the tape you’re using... what kind are you using, and how do you not keep any of the glue on your feathers...? I have a few birds that are almost ready to mount, but I would like to get them done perfectly, and could use some advice ^^; I hope you don’t mind my asking...?

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Blue painters tape. It doesn't leave any residue behind. A lot of people will double it to have a stiffer tape. And always when pulling it, pull it off with the grain of the feathers

Honey the Bean likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have used painters tape with a light gauge wire stuck right down the middle so I have the benefit of the sticky tape and the benefit of being able to contour the tape and it stays in that shape.

The best why to not get glue on the feathers, if it is caulk, and you are injecting into an incision, is to pinch the skin near the edge of the incision as you remove the caulking gun to remove the caulk from the tip.

There are many DVDs that will show you this.

Honey the Bean and Wildthings like this.
  5. @Wildthings and @Tanglewood Taxidermy

Thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge and wisdom throughout the years as I've been learning. I appreciate all the time, patience and knowledge you have all shared. Thank you~

Just to add to this thread, as it IS a "whats on your work table", I was gifted some pelts that would have otherwise been thrown away and just wasted. So I am currently working on two sheep, two goat and I have a deer as well. I honestly am just treating them like any of my other pelts, where I'm fleshing them, giving the fur a quick wash (just to get most the blood out) and then they get a really good drying by hand, and go for a salting.

I am in NO way an expert, and hardly even an intermediate tanner -- I would still call myself very novice/beginner, to the point I haven't even done a pickle before (I am pretty sure I will need to do one for these pelts, as an egg tan probably won't cut it...) but I just haven't had the time to find the proper pickle mix, and if they sell that stuff where I live.

I'm having a hard enough time finding any submersible heaters, and any peroxide over 3% x.x But I guess that's living in my part of Canada for ya...

One more thing, I found a sheepskin from someone else -- like a professional "market quality" one. Is there any way I can properly wash it and then get it to become pliable once again...?
    Any tips you may be able to throw my way...?

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  6. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Honey the Bean. I would definitely go over to the Tanning and the Skulls and Skeletons threads here and ask. We're just a bunch of feather heads. Hair Taxidermy is a whole different animal (pun intended).

As far as a submersible heater goes...I know several guys that use a Sous vide cooker. Pretty sure you can get them anywhere. Good luck!

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Take heed of what Brooke has said. I have done quite a lot of shop tanning through my career but when it came to goats and sheep, they all went to the tannery after I fleshed and salt dried them

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  8. Richard Gonzalez

Richard Gonzalez New Member

USA
    I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to impart your knowledge and experience to me as I've grown over the years. If you're looking for a CV writing service but don't have a lot of money to spend, don't worry; I found a website that offers cheap CV writing service. It's such an excellent website, in fact, that I'll be using it to create my own resume. It's fantastic that you may go there and select the top writing agency within your price range.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Wildthings and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  9. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Couple blue tape specials.

F6029761-96E1-4BDE-A770-333B9869DB13.jpeg 68435471-044A-416D-A057-76406A9A5EB1.jpeg