1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eiders Galore

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Dave York, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Don’t know if anyone watched Deadliest Catch on Tuesday or not? The saga was bombarded by a flock of common and king riders. They homed in on his large sodium lights at night. It was raining Eiders. The deck must have had over 100 of them on deck. Jake added up the damage and said there was $15,000. in duck damage. You could see a flock coming and head right for the lights and mast.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

And then they thought it was good TV to add "quacks" ...cause that's the sound Eiders make

Richard C and Rausch like this.

3. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Would have liked to seen that !

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yea it was a lot of birds that’s for sure , told the wife they don’t sound like that lol. I’m sure all didn’t make it , bet some hit the dinner plate .

5. Dave York

drob likes this.
  6. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that! I used to eider hunt when I was young. Only seen 4 live King eider in my life.

7. Dave York

I was saying Nooooo as they were throwing them overboard.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  8. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

OMG that was crazy! Thanks for sharing.

9. redbluff77

redbluff77 New Member

Utah
    Imagine how many beautiful male king eiders perished in the collision with the Saga ship! What a waste!! It is extremely frustrating knowing that we can not get collection permits but a vessel can kill hundreds of birds in a very short period of time. I think sharing this video is a good way to raise public awareness and hopefully generate some solutions/regulations in Alaska. Yes, I'm a little salty because I couldn't get one of these birds mounted. Duck hunters will understand. The long line fishing fleet in South America has had to change their methods in order to reduce Albatross deaths by drowning. As a society we should be smart enough and resourceful enough to stop these horrific by kills.

Katherine Nee likes this.
  10. redbluff77

redbluff77 New Member

Utah
    Hey , I just brought the video up to bring awareness to the guys that duck hunt King Eiders in St. Paul Island, Alaska. That's unfortunate that the King crab season has been canceled in the Bering Sea, because the crab numbers have crashed. The King Eider numbers are also declining up around the Bering Sea. There have been a more than a few flocks of rare Steller's and Spectacled Eiders collide with fishing vessels in the past few years. These events just aren't publicized. I would hate to see King Eider duck hunting close in Alaska , just like the close of Spectacled/ Stellers Eider hunting in 1991. We all need to be more aware of, and help with the conservation and protection of vulnerable seaducks.

Katherine Nee likes this.