1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lip Tucking Tips?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Crepuscular Creature, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Hello once again, I'm back with yet another question.

So, with my first mount, I tried to tuck the lips with a flathead screwdriver, but that didn't work at all and I just gave up on tucking the lips due to the mannequin threatening to break and I didn't want to deal with a big mistake like that. So, safe to say, the lips of my first mount are not tucked, though it isn't incredibly noticeable.

Should I invest in a lip tucking tool, or is there an easier way to tuck lips or a trick to it? Any advice helps greatly.

Thank you in advance,
    Raven

2. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

It's good to have the proper tools for the job.your lips will probably pull away as it dries if it's not tucked. Use a dull butter knife

Keith and Crepuscular Creature like this.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If you can find a short piece of copper ground wire, pound one end of it flat and epoxy the other end into a 5/8" dowel rod and viola, you have a tucking tool!

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I use a 4 inch awe on all lips, you are making a slit or slot in your form to begin with aren’t you.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I put a jigsaw fine tooth blade against a sanding belt to eliminate the set. Then I tapered the tip, and epoxied into a small file handle.. I used this for decades to cut the lip slot. For tucking, I bought a cheap Phillips head screwdriver. I held it with a pair of vise-grips and heated it cherry red. Using an anvils I flattened the last 3 inches and bent it in a gentle curve. I polished it with a fine sanding belt until the curve was only about ⅛ inch and then quenched it to harden the tip. The screwdriver handle gave me great leverage from foxes and otters to Cape Buffalo and bison.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Been using a regular screwdriver with the sharp corners and edges soften

7. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

you have to cut the lip slot on the manikin first, then tuck the lips.