1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Excess Skin Problems

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1tahr, Sep 3, 2022.

1. 1tahr

1tahr Active Member

hi all, i was wondering how you guys get around mounting a fish with a curve in its back , seems every time i carve a body with a curved back i end up with slack skin on the belly have been avoiding this pose for sometime now , hope this makes sense .thanks

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I stick a silicone nozzle up it’s ass and pump til I have it bellied up good. Never had anyone accuse me of “shrinking their fish” since I started doing this!

Clew likes this.

3. 1tahr

1tahr Active Member

hi Joey , will the silicon dry to an even surface ? i guess when you bend a fish wrinkles appear so im wondering how much is acceptable

drwalleye likes this.
  4. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

How long does it take silicone to dry, since it's fairly thick and some what in a airtight belly

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Are you using a good hide paste? I used Epo-Grip #30 paste. Position the head and then align your anatomical markers (fins). Taxi the skin evenly and push bubbles out. The scales overlap more on the inside curve. I called it "packing the skin." If your measurements are right, the skin will fit. The #30 takes 6 hours to cure and gives you plenty of time to adjust fit and get rid of air pockets.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Mike Powell and msestak like this.
  6. 1tahr

1tahr Active Member

hi George yes im using a good hide paste , are you using the real head i taxi skin over form then pin to make sure things line up, ill push cast head on and make sure it will fit and then stich and pin card and leave to dry , will permantely fit head when mounts dry , teaching myself as i go lol

7. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    From what I gather
    Your bodies are lacking in the belly area
    Make your measurements to include the belly

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If your carving the right measurements you will have some slack on the inside curve and very tight on the outside curve but your skin will be touching even though it’s being stretched on the back side.
    So depending on how much curve you have will determine how loose the inside will be. So this is where taxidermy comes in. You’ll have to push the skin closer and scales will overlap more cause of this and remember the inside curve will be larger cause meat, fat intestines etc are coming together just like if you bent over. The outside does not get fatter like when your marking out a body on paper. That’s a dead fish and anatomy will be incorrect on a lot of areas and that’s a major one I see on reproduction, or skin mounts wether buying or carving a form.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Stop sewing. Save time. I use a 1/4 inch electric stapler. This sets the skin edges making repairs with Apoxie so much easier.