1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Grease Burn

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by oldshaver, Sep 3, 2006.

1. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

A gripe first. Isnt leaving the name, address, and phone # of your business, comercial advertising? I thought we signed off not to do this when we registered? Anyhow, to my topic. Mammal fat creates its own heat. Combine that with storage in a hot place, and you have a recipe for grease burn. Grease burn weakens skin fiber to the point of distruction, and there is no fixing it. From what I have seen so far, bears, small game, and elk, are at especially high risk. Identifacation of grease burn is easy. The affected area will not pickle,or tan, and will tear, with slight pressure. It can often be confused with under-neutralisation, on a tanned skin, and blamed on acid rot. Bottom line, if you leave fat on a skin, store in a cool place.

2. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

Some good new fleshing knives would be the necker 500 and the new necker 700 is a wonderful tool too. especially for beaver. some are advocating actually using this new tool to slice the fat/meat/and sinue. I do not know a good system for the bigger elk hides, though i would like to learn if anyone has a tip? This is not an advertsment for the necker mr. OS just a tip. the old english knife was well respected too. But they are now hard to find. on another note Mr. David Patton has lost his father: lets us all on here wish him well. David is a very conscientious contributor to this site and he is missed!

3. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Sorry to hear about Daves Dad. I met him a couple of times-nice man.

4. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Hey CT, I just gave you a plus on the karma. Do we get a prize for the most applause at the end of the month?

5. cold trapper

Hey, Hi how ya doin old spice man! yes, i gave you a couple too! every hour we can feed each other a positive. then we win a trip to a real tannery!
    see ya pal! Thanks for great tip in meeting David Patton "The four Star General of the National Tanners!" I hear you got your stipes too. good new forum huh?

6. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

I think its great!

7. Thanks OS,
    This was my Dad from Dickerson, Texas. Not Nathan, my stepdad. You never had the chance to meet Robert L. Patton. He and Mom divorced when I was 8.
    Nathan Sanders is still alive and kicking butt in the Walker County courtroom as a bailiff. Too ornery to die yet!

8. cold trapper

David: I sent you a box of chocolates to your tannery address. Best wishes my friend!