1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WING"TIPS" #22 "wrapping" birds

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by wingman, Aug 29, 2007.

1. wingman

wingman Active Member

Hello All! Ive finally taken some time to photograph a few more ''wingtips'' Upcoming tips on curling feathers, and lamelaa ''transfer''. This Wingtip has basically been done on a prior posting as bird artist, Aaron showed us the technique with some great old reference to the method written in an old taxidermy manual. I was mounting an Emperor goose today and used the technique plus I had taken pictures prior to that posting so I figured I would elaborate a little on it. Basically its a very simple method to help hold feathers in position while drying, I personally used it mostly on game farm birds or any specimen which had an excess of fat and when fleshed have a tendency to ''blow out'' meaning you could put a body three times larger and still have slack. I mount the birds in my normal manner and then when grooming etc is complete I come back and ''WRAP" my cotton thread around the body in KEY areas to pull the feathers and skin into proper anatomical position. This method works great on such birds BUT also when properly done helps out the anatomy on most any bird. I personally do not bend or insert wires to help hold the thread as I have several pins with other carding etc which I can wrap the thread around to reverse direction etc as you wrap the bird. I know some will think that if the anatomy of whats inside is correct you don't need to do this method and thats partly true BUT I feel it is one step which is good to know in certain circumstances. The following pics should help, GOOD LUCK!!!!

2. wingman

wingman Active Member

And a couple more :)

3. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

very good wing man did that on a female merlin i mounted the other day . hey.. did you get that european jay done. :) best. lee...

4. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

How tight is the string pulled against the bird?

5. wingman

wingman Active Member

James, It varies but never very tight at all as you don't want it to distort the anatomy, it's basically wrapped around the bird loosely with a bit more tension in the spots which need it, On smaller specimens you can use finer thread, I just like the ''weight'' of the wrapping thread to assist in holding the feathers in place.

6. andythomas

andythomas New Member

very nice thank for posting this, this is a great idea and one i will remember to use.

7. mimes

mimes New Member

As always, great tips wingman! Also, beautiful birds. Makes me want to try that much harder to reach your level. Question, the two geese are they wrapped bodies and original skull or foam bodies and repro head?

8. wingman

wingman Active Member

Mimes,I usually use foam bodies on geese BUT the Emperor and Barnacle in the pics have wrapped bodies and artificial heads.

9. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Hey Wingman,

I tried this tonight on a swimming woodie hen. It worked beautifully for pulling the side pockets and belly up. I normally use tape, but I have found a new method. Thanks!!!

10. SteveP

SteveP New Member

James, I was the opposite. I wrapped with string all the years before. When I started back up this year, I've been using tape. I've been forcing myself to stick with the tape, hehe. But, I don't like not being able to see what's under the tape and end up pulling the tape before it's completely dry. It's real easy to go too tight with the string. "A little is good, more is better, right?" Of course, relaxing the tension on the string is simple enough as long as you don't have to regroom.

Eugene and Aaron, thanks for the inspiration and education.