1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question About Ham Beetles

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by CJMartin, Sep 11, 2022.

1. CJMartin

CJMartin Member

Hey guys, seems i have found Ham beetles in with my Dermestids. i read that they lay eggs on the food source is this true for the Dermestids also? The reason i ask is i have seen small white "swiggles" (for the lack of better word) all over the meat i have feed them from day one and thought this was a good thing. i have had my Dermestids for about 6 months.
    i had not noticed the Ham beetles until just recently, as they move quicker and climb the walls and i am not seeing alot of them. i am hoping to be able to separate my good ones out and save the colony.
    Are the white "swiggles" normal?
    Thanks

Robert Baker likes this.
  2. CJMartin

CJMartin Member

i guess maybe this was a stupid question. i'm thinking maybe its just poop?

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

There is quite a bit on here about "ham beetles". Several posts even talk about what people did to save their colony or get rid of them. Use the Advanced Search and look for "Ham Beetles". The search takes some getting used to but it does work.

Yes, the whitish squiggles is probably poop.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I don't think there is any way to rid a colony of them. I've been there several times, and the hams' eventually take over...it's just a matter of time.

Robert Baker likes this.