1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Slowing Set Time Of Hide Paste

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Colin Hornback, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Hello everyone!

I'm using Buckeye Supreme Hide Paste, and I've noticed that it sets much faster than others I've tried. I went to work with another taxidermist on a project and he mentioned the same thing! I live in Colorado, which is a dry climate. If I paste the entire form, and put my cape on and start sewing, I'm barely able to move the cape around on the form by the time I'm done sewing. I've gone to pasting just the face, start sewing to the back of the head/neck, tuck eyes, nose, lips, adjust ears, and then paste the rest of the body and finish sewing down the back. Even then, it's difficult to adjust the skin once I'm done sewing.

Is there something I can add to the hide paste to slow its set time? I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Robert Baker likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Go to pro 1 hide paste, it gives you plenty of time, if not squirt it with a little water . I’ve never had to , but when dry it’s strength is unreal. You can tint it with colors also , like pink for your ears , yes I use plastic ear liners and glue them with pro 1 .

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I had a cape with a long incision down the back, I would sew the back seam inside out on a table up to the back of the ears before I put it on the form. That way, I could paste the form and slide the skin into place. Then the sew time on a pasted form was minimal.

Robert Baker likes this.
  4. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Where I'm from you can move Buckeye around for days.

Robert Baker likes this.
  5. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Yes, i have never had that problem and have used it since it came out. That is one of the benefits is that you can taxi the skin so good with it.
    Question, are you using a tanned cape or dry preservative on your cape ?
    The glue should not dry that fast, unless you are taking days to mount the head,lol

Robert Baker, Keith and NMJagdHunter like this.
  6. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

Yea, I'm not sure how it's drying that fast, I'm in the desert southwest often single digit humidity and I can taxi for at least a full day, bag and you can work for two to three.

Robert Baker likes this.
  7. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I am still curious how the skin was prepared. It can have a lot to do with it.

Robert Baker likes this.
  8. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I'm with Heath on this one. I sat in on a seminar with the guys from Ohio , they said borax would curdle the hide paste. If it's dry preserve that might explain it.