1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

[resolved!] Creating A Huge Mannequin From Scratch Tips?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Crepuscular Creature, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Edit: I found a steer mannequin that should work if altered a bit. Thank you all so much for the help and advice!

Hello again, I've come to ask another question or two.

So, this monday, we're having some of our cows butchered, and I plan to attempt a full body mount of one of our steers, yet I haven't seen any life size cow mannequins (besides a milk cow, which he definitely is not).

I was wondering how exactly would I approach making a mannequin for him? I won't be able to make a cast/mold or anything since he's getting butchered for food, my wrist physically won't allow me to use wood wool/wire/yarn to make a mannequin, and I have yet to find a premade mannequin that would even come close to working.

I have a lot going against me here, so I was hoping a few of you guys would be able to give me some advice for when I eventually get to the mannequin/form making part. (I have to save up to get the pelt tanned and all of that good stuff still, so I have a pretty good amount of time to figure this out)

Thank you in advance for ANY advice, as I'm no expert.

Have a great rest of your day,
    Raven

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Robert Baker likes this.
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What supply companies have you looked into and what sizes do they need to be?

Crepuscular Creature likes this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Take good measurements, more than you think you need and draw reference sketches on paper and order a lifesize form of any critter that comes close in size and shape and make that fit your skin, using your measurements and reference sketches.This really is an expensive gamble, in time and money, you are thinking of taking on, with odds against it turning out. with even less chance of getting any of those things back, I would pick smaller easily obtainable, less expensive critters to practice this trade.

4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

3 bears is right. I didn't even consider this is the beginner section. This is a project even experienced taxidermist would have difficulty with.

5. I've only found a life size form from Ohio taxidermy company, but it's for a milking cow, I'm guessing a holstein, and I need one for a belted galloway (the steer isn't that large, he's a little bit smaller than an adult cow/heifer). I've looked at other companies and Van Dyke's has a close-ish bust mannequin, but it's a little too bulky, and that's all I've found.

6. davidferguson

davidferguson Member

20191204_115549.jpg In China a couple years ago we did this exact thing with a water Buffalo. You can cast the legs quickly with two part foam and saran wrap and keep the meat edible. Trace the remaining torso, foam and carve to size and shape. Your legs will be rough but usable. For the head to shoulders I would go with a commercial form, that'll save you half the time. To put it in context though it took nine of us 12 days to butcher, skin, tan, sculpt and mold the manikin, and mount it life-size. You could eliminate the molding and do a one time use form though. Best of luck, it's totally doable though

7. Penczak

Penczak Active Member

I went to get a bull sh mt hide. Here in the US ,
    They kill it at the butcher and a health or agriculture inspector stayed the whole time they were butchering.

8. Penczak

Penczak Active Member

[​IMG]Just need to shave him down a bit. Alter the form maybe put a new head.
    Also a Bangtang is exactly shaped like most steers that I have seen [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    Crepuscular Creature likes this.