1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Boone And Crockett And Pope And Young Bear Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by 3bears, Sep 18, 2022.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What's the best way to clean a skull prior to measuring for the books? I gave up on beetles and use maceration on my euros but is that the best way for a book skull? My bear from this season make's the books, it green scores over 21 but I want to clean it to have it officially scored. I've never dealt with entering anything of my own. I have used beetles to clean customer's book skulls but don't have them any more.

moonshine and Robert Baker like this.
  2. QBD

QBD Active Member

I have used maceration on book bears. You can macerate and them have it measured after the required curing period and then do the degreasing after measuring if you are concerned about the process causing shrinkage. I do not believe maceration will cause shrinkage any more than beetle cleaned.

Robert Baker likes this.

3. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

In my opinion beetles are the way to go. That way the 60 day drying period starts the day you shot the bear as long as you didn’t freeze the skull. If you macerate then you have to wait another 60 days after it’s clean. Also I wouldn’t degrease or whiten it prior to scoring it either.

Robert Baker likes this.
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Why does freezing have anything to do with it? I did freeze it, so I could deal with the skin and butchering the meat.

Robert Baker likes this.
  5. QBD

QBD Active Member

I am not sure freezing matters other than the curing time factor. If you freeze it before beetle cleaning, the curing does not start until after it is cleaned anyway.

Robert Baker likes this.
  6. maceration. skull-cleaning.com

7. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

According to B&C the curing time begins when it’s killed if never frozen or when it’s thawed if it was frozen. Time in the beetle tank counts as drying time because it is not frozen or submerged in water. If you macerate it is soaking in water not drying out your time does not start until it’s removed from the water. Hope this helps.

Keith likes this.
  8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thanks, I have never harvested anything that I was interested in entering, until now. From what I can tell, this bear might make Boone and Crockett all time, not just minimum and I did it with a bow so, it will make Pope and Young.

Tnrandy likes this.
  9. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Congrats that is a hell of a bear!

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thanks, I was dumbfounded when we got him out of the woods and realized how big he was.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you take a detour to the current events section you can see a pic of him.

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    14896.jpeg here is about the best pic I have of his melon kind of pissed that we didn't get better pics but we had to get him skinned and broke down and cooled 14896.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Tnrandy likes this.
  13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Get a plastic bucket and put the skull in, cover it with water. I always added a couple beers or packages of bakers yeast. If you have an aquarium heter, set it in and cover the bucket. Every 3 weeks, pour off the water, tear off the rotting flesh, pull all the teeth and set them aside in plastic cups marked "top left/right, bottom left/right, front top/bottom. RINSE out the slime and any discolored areas of the bucket and repeat the process. AND DO THOS FAR AWAY FROM YOUR HOUSE AND SHOP..

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN

15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thanks George, I have a good method for maceration using an old chest freezer and a thermostatically controlled bucket heater. Most skulls are clean within a week and half to 2 weeks. I was curious to opinions on the methods with the least amount of shrinkage.

16. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I change half the water out with warm water after about 5 days but only if it is horribly nasty. The better you clean the skull first, the less nasty the process will be. I don't think I have ever had any bad shrinkage with any macerated skull and I do a lot of bears. Congrats on that and I would really like to see the result too. Agree that it's a shame that you didn't get more photos but time is of the essence this time of year. Did you get a weight on him?

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thanks and yes he was 460 LBS prior to removing his entrails, didn't weigh after.