1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Preserve Fish Skins

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by HTG, Sep 20, 2022.

1. HTG

HTG Member

What's the best way to preserve fish skins so that the color doesn't fade? Is the 50/50 denatured alcohol to water the best or are there any others that are better? How long should it be left in this for about a week? Is one gallon of each enough for a thirty inch wiper?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

In reality there is none as they dry they can keep some color but many will darken lose spots etc. If we could keep color on them then it would be no fun painting them. I hear from some of my clients gee if it was this easy I would do it myself! I’m like what do you mean? All you did was skin it put it on a form, and gave it back to me. ROFLMAO hmm ok here’s a fish drying that’s not ready to go on driftwood. I hear its like black! Yep guess what? We paint them. Then I see mouth opening and a foot entering it and then the next foot goes in right after.
    Anyway I like zinc sulfate I get color sometime and sometimes not, pro 1 has a decent preservative out but no matter what learn to enjoy painting.

3. HTG

HTG Member

I'll check for the Pro 1. Thanks