1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Software

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Stones and Bones, Sep 23, 2022.

1. I am a little frustrated in the choices we have for taxidermy software. I only see three options available. One is cloud based and isn't currently integrated with any sort of merchant services abilities, which I think is a necessity for today. The other two software options have to be downloaded onto a computer and, therefore, can't be accessed anywhere at any time. There has to be a better option out there for those of us who are used to having great software elsewhere in our lives. Any suggestions? Is there something that I am missing with the three options that are available?

2. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I still have one foot in the Stone Age and use a combination of handwritten hard copy records (in the form of a single running moleskine notebook) and the square app, which is how I got my card reader and am able to send invoices. ‍♂️ unprofessional perhaps and maybe an indication of the fact that I’m still a part timer with a smaller workload than most of y’all but I just don’t have any desire to have to buy a computer.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I use an Excel Spreadsheet that I designed. It’s a little crude, but serves me.

4. Tom McNeal

Tom McNeal Member

Hi Stones and Bones,

If you haven't already done so, I invite you to visit the TAXIshop website (www.taxishop.net) and click on "What's New" to learn more about TAXIshop's features and capabilities.

If you'd like to learn more about me and the level of service I provide to my software clients, search here on the Taxidermy.net forum, or any other popular taxidermy related website, for "Tom McNeal" and/or "TAXIshop Software".

If you need occasional access to your TAXIshop system from a remote device, you can always download and use a Free App like TeamViewer which reportedly works quite well... but the easiest solution is already built right into most recent versions of Windows. The following excerpt is from a Microsoft article on setting up your Windows Remote Desktop...

"You can use Remote Desktop to connect to and control your PC from a remote device by using a Microsoft Remote Desktop client (available for Windows, iOS, macOS and Android). When you allow remote connections to your PC, you can use another device to connect to your PC and have access to all of your apps, files, and network resources as if you were sitting at your desk."

For more information , you can see the entire MS article here...
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-services/clients/remote-desktop-allow-access.

Please also feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if I can assist you further.
    Tom McNeal
    Maker of TAXIshop
    "Custom Software for your taxidermy shop!" Since 1995

5. Hi, Tom.
    Thank you for your feedback. I have looked at your site. However, it states that your software works on Windows 10 but does not say that it works on Windows 11. Most of my computers are Windows 11 now. Further, it states that it is installed using a disk. None of my computers have disk capability. Therefore, I would have to purchase a disk reader to attach to my computer to even install your software. I have used TeamViewer on several occasions. However, TeamViewer is not free for business use. Therefore, that would be another expense. I have not used remote desktop and would have to look further into that. Your site does not mention much about accounting other than payments made and balances due. Therefore, I am assuming that I would still have to purchase accounting software. It would be nice to only have to purchase one software that does everything that a taxidermy shop would need. Younger generations prefer to receive statements by text and are more apt to pay their balances through their phones. It would be nice to be able to text a link to a customer that would allow them to put in all of their personal information that automatically loads it into the software so that I wouldn't have to. I am just used to great software with all of the convenient bells and whistles and spoiled by growing up in a digital world. I was just hoping for that when it comes to taxidermy.

6. Tom McNeal

Tom McNeal Member

Hey! Thanks for the nudge Stones and Bones! Yes! The TAXIshop website could use some updating and I'll get to that just as soon as my time and workload allows. But for now, let me say...
    1) TAXIshop installs and runs just fine on Windows 11. Functionally, Windows 11 is actually pretty much the same as Windows 10, and Windows 8.1 for that matter, except that Windows 11 does a much better job of collecting, uploading, and selling your personal computer habits and interests to others. Some may call that progress; or then again, a sign of the times! In any case Windows 11 is not a problem for TAXIshop!

2) Because many of the newer computers have abandoned CD/DVD optical drives in favor of multiple USB ports, TAXIshop Setup is now available on USB Flash Drive.

3) As for accounting, you must have missed this on the website...
    "TAXIshop creates all the financial reports you need for any period of time you specify, including Shop Sales, Actual Receipts, Accounts Receivable, Sales Tax Reports, Shop Expenses, and an Order Summary Report that breaks down your sales with totals and subtotals for each job category, species, and pose. Everything you or your accountant needs at tax time is right here in TAXIshop and always available with just a few clicks."

While other TAXIshop users may certainly chime in here with their recommendations and referrals, if you have any other concerns or questions for me, please contact me directly at the phone or email address shown on my website! www.TAXIshop.net

Tom McNeal
    Maker of TAXIshop
    "Custom Software for your taxidermy shop!" Since 1995