1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wire Wheel

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by SolarDeer, Sep 26, 2022.

1. SolarDeer

SolarDeer New Member

UK
    Hello I'm looking to get started in actually taxidermy and have salted several skins at this point.

One thing that's been an issue is no matter what I try these birds always have fat on them, they are corn/grain fed pheasants from the UK so as expected there can be half an inch of fat in places.

I was recomended against getting a wire wheel but isn't a wirewheel all about tuning and learning how it works? I could quite easily flesh and defat 30-40 skins before attempting a skin to mount.

Not to mention it isn't exclusive to pheasants there's many things on our property I could see it coming in useful for, we have a decent amount of mallards.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If you are going to mount birds, you need a wheel. You will need a soft brush for your pheasants until you get some wheeling experience. A slightly coarse brush is required for differing fowl. I’d suggest purchasing a wheel from one of the taxidermy suppliers.

3. SolarDeer

SolarDeer New Member

UK
    Yes I felt like its something I would need for sure, Not to mention its a versatile bit of kit too on smaller mammals.

I was just a bit bewildered with the one user recommending against it, Sure the first few might be torn to pieces but Its all about learning and tuning the machine.

And I have unlimited skins to try Unlike the USA where large quantities might be a bit harder to come across.

And Its not like I need to go out and spend £400-500 Importing the fleshing machines from the US either, All things considered it seems like half decent ones can be made for about a £100.