1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone Seen This?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Tracks 2 Trophies, Sep 26, 2022.

1. I had a buddy taxidermist ask me about this. Early WT cape, scar pattern that was healed over all hair grown back, could only see it on the skin side. Neither of us have ever seen this, my theory is he was hit by a car and this is severe bruising from a front grill. It was on his shoulder. Any other thought's, has anyone else seen this??

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
    nemo likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

To me it looks like whatever the deer was laying on like in truck after killed or something kinda like if you put a rope around it’s neck , the hide gets the moisture pulled out kinda thing , I have seen that tho , from the way I explained it .

wrightwaytaxi likes this.

3. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

$100 says that deer was hauled on an expanded steel rack. Either on an Atv or one of those “hitch racks” that are popular with the suv driving folks.

Glenn M and Richard C like this.
  4. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

What Rausch said.
    Guy brought us a deer last year that I caped out while it was laying on an expanded metal rack. The kind you put on the trailer hitch socket for extra storage, people strap coolers and such on them.
    When I brought it into the shop to finish skinning out the head, it had those exact marks on the skin side of the shoulder that was laying on that rack.
    Did not effect the mount.

5. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

Exactly what Rausch and Denton said!

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    All got this right
    Strapped too tight on a rack
    Moisture pushed out

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yea I just said it nicely, glad you seen what I was saying Clew

8. Wow that is wicked looking, I never seen that before, but totally makes sense of what they said. It's good it won't affect the finished mount! I seen a video recently on Facebook, of a deer walking around with a huge flesh wound opening, you could see it's backstraps. I tell you guys what, nothing really creeps me out, I've seen a lot, but for some reason, seeing that deer walk around in that condition, just hurt my soul! I could not imagine the pain it was in.