1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Super Glue Gel And Peroxide Possible Reactions?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Thunderstorm, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Thunderstorm

Thunderstorm New Member

Ohio
    I have a question. I cleaned and degreased a Longhorn Skull, I wasn't thinking and I glued the skull parts together with Super Glue Gel before I whitened it. Can I still put the skull in the Peroxide to whiten and sanitize it or will it have a reaction with the Super Glue Gel on the skull?

2. My experience has been that the glue dis bonds. But I have not used super glue gel. You might want to glue something else and use it as a test piece?

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Reaction, no, but expect it to come apart while it soaks. Finish all the steps and then use Elmer's Glue to put it back together. Clamp any parts that need it in place for a couple of days while it dries. You won't get the instant satisfaction of using Super Glue but the Elmer's is a much stronger bond that will last the lifetime of the skull. 5 min epoxy and Super Glues will degrade with time and will eventually fail. Super Glues are a hard glue. Bone will expand and contract a bit over the seasons and with humidity. Super Glues will eventually crack and break free. Elmer's Glue dries absolutely clear and has enough flex in it that the joints can move a bit without pulling apart.

Tnrandy likes this.