1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beaver Tails

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hoytarcher, Sep 27, 2022.

1. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    Anyone familiar with tanning beaver tails into soft leather?

I have used submersion tan, Lutan. I have used Mckenzie rub on tab and I have used Tannium which is Chrome tan. i have oiled them and put them in my 7ft tumbler but they still are not coming out soft. Any advice?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

That’s cause they need to be shaved thin. Thick leather really never gets soft as thin will.

3. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    The ends are very thin and they are still hard, like a chip but a really thin chip

4. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Well-Known Member

My post isn't going to be helpful but -- the tails are more or less leathery, can you actually soft tan a beaver tail? I would have thought they would come out like a stiff leather in the end. Just adding to the question, I guess.

Robert

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

What tan are you using? Also what tanning oils

6. Beaver Tails as a title sounds so naughty!! Maybe I'm just still immature at 45!! a-clean-beaver-always-gets-more-wood-see-more-crazy-6125422.png

7. LjcNNUX.png

8. darton

darton Member

I too tried tanning beaver tails with Lutan and then oiled them with Pro-1 Leather Finishing Oil with a double application of oil and tumbled in a 6 foot tumbler and they all came out stiff as well. Almost like I need to tumble in sand to help break the leather better while tumbling. When the tails come out of the tumbler with sawdust, they look like they were rolled up, which tells me they wern't breaking while tumbling. Wondering if you need to tan beaver tails like you would snake skins ? Anyone who has profesionally tanned beaver tails and has had soft leathery results, please chime in, would love to know proper method. Thanks in advance .

9. darton

darton Member

Also, just to let you know, I shaved them with a fleshing machine and also degreased them in 90 degree water.

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I can't even do a decent job of skinning them without making a mess. I resorted to artificial tails ages ago.

drob likes this.
  11. darton

darton Member

We get a ton of beavers up here in Canada. Lots of people use the tanned leather for making wallets and a variety of other stuff. Tandy Leather sells tanned beaver tails. You can even dye them to give you the colour you desire, red, black, brown, yellow etc...