1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cape stitching

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by garcia25, Aug 29, 2007.

1. I am new to taxidermy and have completed my first whitetail shoulder mount. The mount has turned out ok, my question is,the cape around the horn burr has slightly pulled away. Is this due to not tightening up my stitch in that area? possibly? I'm fresh out of a taxidermy school and would like to correct a typical mistake.

2. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Keep your stitches tight there and I put ear liner adhesive under the skin against the bur. Some people superglue (i have with success) some drill tiny holes and pin with small finish nails.(I don't) I'm sure there are lots of options on this one.

3. If you put some 5 minute epoxy around the burrs you will never have to worry about them again. The problem with trying to pull your stitches real tight there is you will take away skin from the back corner of your eyes. Then your deer will look like an asian person or worse Michael P. lol. Get the epoxy from HD or Lowes and forget it.

4. John W.

John W. New Member

I lay a roll of majic sculpt(little bit wider than a lead pencil)all the way around the burr and then push the skin into it.The next day if I have any doubt or if it looks like the skin is loose I'll put super glue in place and that takes care of any problems. ;D

5. Tom Parish

Tom Parish New Member

You know, instead of messing with glue, you could try thinning your cape a little better, and on your first stitch, wrap it around your antler base, then continue stitching.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I put critter clay around my bases & press the hide in good, haven't had any problerms. I know as said before, epoxy sculpt works good as well.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Fresh out of taxidermy school? Don't they have a student support phone number?

8. epoxy sculpt works for me.

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I use epoxy sculpt also.
    Looks like that would be taught in taxidermy school, it sure seems that these schools skip a lot of basics. I've seen people fresh out of school asking how to take measurements. I just don't get it.
    No disrespect meant towards you garcia25. It's just that you, and others, pay to be taught right and it seems like some basic things are being left out.

10. They had to teach one method or another. Maybe Garcia25 was in the Men's room at the time. Anyway we are past that now. I use magic sculpt and stitch. Soon as I finish I make sure it fits nice around the butts. I take a flathead screwdriver and make adjustments if necessary. Once the sculpt grabs it won't let go. Keep a close eye on it for just a few hours and you will be fine. Good luck G25.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

4000, it sticks to the bottom of your shoes doesn't it? I got to agree though, epoxy works great. I like to lace a heavy thread around the edge of the burr hole, then cinch it tight around the base and tie it off. Any stretch from thinning the burr skin is tightened up and will never shrink with the epoxy. Another very important tip is to glue the skin right to the bone, do not put clay below the burr, leave a ring of open bone to glue to, glue will not stick to clay.

12. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

I rebuild under the antler burr with apoxie sculpt and let it completely set up before I start mounting. I leave a space between the burr and apoxie to tuck my hide when I sew it up. At times I'll pump in some latex caulk on top of the head and work it around the antler burrs after I finish sewing! Works for me?

13. Ho

Ho Member

If you want to nail around the burrs, use the itty bitty "toe nails" that some suppliers sell for pinning mammal feet. (I think that's how they're advertised.) They're like nails with a straight pin tip.

I also do the apoxie sculpt bead, but after the hide is on before I sew. Then sew and mash the bead up to trap the skin under the burr.

14. boone

boone Member

Build up around the antler bases with a slight taper, replaceing the tissue that was there. Overbuild slightly too compensate for the thinned cape, and use a good hide paste. You shouldnt have any major problems.

15. Geno

Geno New Member

I use liquid nail in that area.You must be carefull,it can be messy,however with a little babysitting as mentioned before not a problem.

16. Martin

Martin roes, my obsession, my fate

I also use superglue for it, never had any problems.

17. i will usually paint dark brown - when i mount i put hide paste all around the burr and around the eyes, etc. i mount then when i sew up i get it tight, but not to much to pull my eyes. works great.