1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Knives For De-meating

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Dustyisland, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Dustyisland

Dustyisland New Member

Hello folks,

For those of you that do a lot of euros, what knife do you use for skinning and de-meating the head before processing?

I've used some cheap kitchen knives, filet knives, paring knives, carbon steel, etc. Right now I'm using a cheap Victorinox that works ok. It's a soft enough steel that it sharpens easy. But every knife I've ever used has to be sharpened between each head, if not more, just from all the bone and teeth it comes into contact with.

Just curious if anyone has a go-to knife that they love.

2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

We've used all the above except for the Victorinox...my go to would be just a basic plastic scalpel handle with good quality #22 blades. I usually can skin several before replacing the blades.

3. Dustyisland

Dustyisland New Member

I've used those knives too; they're great for skinning! I don't like to use them for cutting meat though, they're just too brittle. I've broken too many blades cutting out eyes and jaws and such. It's also not particularly cost effective since I do hundreds of skulls a year.

4. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

For the eyes I normally use a 6" filet knife or paring knife. Jaw is simple cut up the line and pop off the jaw, not much cutting.

Sea Wolf likes this.
  5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Ditto on the fillet knife. I have some good steak knives, some small bladed folding knives and a Gator knife that I use. Different sized blades. The sharper the blade, the faster the job. I have a Chef's Choice knife sharpener that puts a razor edge on the blades. Skin gets removed with knives and Vice Grip pliers many times. If the hide is dried out some, I tie the skull with rope around the base of the antlers and tie it to a beam. I can now pull on the hide with the pliers while cutting it free with a knife.

Tnrandy likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

We use #22 Carbon Steel Havel's Scalpel blades for everything. My guys prep 2-3 skulls per hour. No downtime in sharpening blades. Generally one blade per skull. Buy only good named blades. The cheap Asian blades are not as sharp, and will snap in a second.

Tnrandy likes this.