1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint Spitting

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tmf48, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Ok so I've only recently begun having the problem. It's happening with both of my airbrushes, Badger Velocity's, Polytranspar paint (happens with both water base and lacquer). Both brushes have been disassembled and cleaned thoroughly and hasn't helped the problem. Air pressure is 20psi. Moisture trap is on the regulator but I'm starting to question its efficiency. I'm thinking its a moisture problem or maybe air pressure issue. Am I on the right track or am I overlooking something else? Oh, and one of the brushes is brand new and did it straight out of the box.

Thanks!

2. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Try it with the needle protector tip off. But, have mind of that needle sticking out and put it back on when not using.

tmf48 likes this.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Thin your paint down a bit

tmf48 likes this.
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Lots
    Paint no thin enough, Use proper thinners for either paint
    Add some retarder to your paint.
    You can airbrush paint as low as 4psi with proper thinning

5. Thanks Clew. Any particular thinner that you recommend? How about rule of thumb for how much thinner per ounce of paint? Its polytranpar so I took for granted it was properly thinned bu there again, you learn something new everyday.

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I use laqur thinner and retarder
    Depending on the look I’m trying to achieve as to how much

tmf48 likes this.