1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alligator

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tem, Oct 2, 2022.

1. tem

tem Well-Known Member

hello all. well, a friend of mine got him a gator. I krowtann. I told him it will get stiff. he says ok. do you believe the ktan will tan it good? he also wants me to whiten the skull. I have never done one before. what would you charge? been taxing for 15 years. just never done one before. he knows that and tells me to go for it. thank you for any help.

Robert Baker likes this.
  2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

$22 per inch of length for the skull. Never KrowTanned a gator. If he wants it soft tanned, send it to Amtan and save yourself a lot of heartburn.

Robert Baker likes this.

3. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thanks joeym. what would the k-tan do to it? he said he doesn't care if it comes out hard. thank you again.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I have read of people using KrowTan on gators, but I have no personal experience

5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

so they said it would mess up the skin? sorry for so many.

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Here is my process for alligators...

Mix 3 lbs ammonium alum, 30 lbs of salt, and 1 ounce of Dawn detergent in 30 gallons of lukewarm water. I use a 100 gallon Rubbermaid water trough.

Pressure was gator skin, allow to drip. Clean out head if head is attached (before pressure washing).

Salt heavy for 12 hours, shake out salt and place in tanning solution. Leave in solution 36-72 hours, moving around twice daily to insure tan is reaching all parts. Monitor closely. If scales are beginning to loosen, get it out of the tan and procced.

After removing from the tan, drip dry, place on drying board made of ¾” plywood, and secure with dry wall nails around perimeter and place some down the center. Undercut bottom of legs and toes, leaving only the top side.

Allow to dry for 60 days. Remove nails, trace out on a sheet of ¾ plywood that will be the panel. Paint edges of panel with black paint, then attach skin using Loctite Power Grab 3X.

Fill all nail holes with Apoxie-Sculpt, air brush where needed. Coat entire skin and edges of board with Enviro-Tex. Flash it with a propane torch or heat gun to remove air bubbles as you apply.

Use the same tanning solution if you are planning on mounting the gator. This recipe was given to me by David Spiess at an NTA seminar.

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thank you, sir. the head is off already. do I need to flesh it on a wheel when done? thank you again. I don't want to mess it up.

8. I used Krowtann on a gator, and yes it works, use it after it's done follow up with some good oil, Ozark Woods, sells the Krow Oil to compliment Krowtann, Works well, I even made the guy some paper weights out of the gators feet. 10639695_611957685590462_8330613470719303768_n.jpg 994485_611957565590474_7732837857762109989_n.jpg 10639695_611957685590462_8330613470719303768_n.jpg 994485_611957565590474_7732837857762109989_n.jpg 10384117_614138778705686_8785432201338957252_n.jpg

Attached Files:

tem likes this.
  9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You will need to remove any remaining meat off the skin after pressure washing.

10. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I don't have a pressure washer. what would you gentleman charge for tanning the skin in krowtan? it's going on the wall. thank you.

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Use a wire brush on an angle grinder. Salt overnight first to tighten up the flesh, rinse and flesh away. It will be messy and take some time, but I've done several this way. Drape the skin over a 55 gallon drum (plastic with smooth sides). Adjust the height so it's not killing your back. If you are going to glue it to a board, use 3/4 plywood to prevent curling. Tack it down first for 30-60 days until hard dry after tanning. Gator is like fish, you don't have to remove every speck of flesh, it will dry to nothing. Remove dry wall nails and adhere to the panel with Powergrab 3X.

12. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thank you Joeym. what would you charge to do one? I have no idea. thank you again. also. how in the heck do you get the skin off of the skull?

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Alligator skin and skull are one in the same. The skin stays on the skull during tanning. There is no way to remove it. Breakthrough Magazine currently has a three part series on alligator taxidermy. Educate yourself before doing anything.

tem likes this.
  14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If Kulis Kastaway business is still going, they have DVDs on the subject.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I just looked and they appear to still be open. It is Kastaway.com. several videos on the subject.

16. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thank you, gentlemen. I google it and they were using a pressure washer to do the skull after they simmered it. I will check out the video. thank you all again. he wants a European mount on the skull.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.