1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Very Large Alaskan Moose

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Randy, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

I just received a very large Alaskan moose cape in. For those who have fleshed a very large and very thick cape how do you salt prep the cape? The cape is 3/4" or more in thickness with all the meat removed? Will the salt penetrate thru 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Need some advice!!!

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Believe it or not it will , lay out and salt heavy , preferably on a wood or plastic rack . 2nd day shake out resalt fold in half,skin to skin, salted side , make sure it’s draining. 3rd day same thing . 4 th day shake wet salt out and let air get to it to start drying. Get a box ur shipping in and and as it dries fold to fit .

3bears likes this.

3. NID-20

NID-20 Well-Known Member

Yep Salt it wait about 4 hours take a wide putty knife and scrape all the wet salt off and salt it again and hang it over a board in a drying room low humidity for 24 hours . then lay it down and fold it so it will fit in box to ship to tannery then put a fan on it for a couple days then ship to tannery. If you do not fold it a little damp you will never get it folded

4. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Salt and resalt as above. Split the waddle/dewlap/throut area as best you can and get as much salt down the bell as reasonably possible

I run a dehumidifier in my "cape drying room", okay its the shop bathroom. Small sized unit, maybe $150, about the size of a big paper shredder. Hang capes in shower on a 2x4, hair up, after 2nd or 3rd salting. Takes overnight or so, but don't forget about it, or they get way too dried out to fold. When its wintertime, 100% humidity at night, maybe 60% in the day, this set up is a must to fully dry thick or greasy (bears) skins.

I just tanned a moose cape and they are a chore, but it is my Idaho bull and I'm ordering a form soon and mounting it by the end of Nov. I can't wait for the tannery turn time.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I always hear guys talk about the humidity being around 100% in the summer. Here in the western part of Oregon, like you said, our humidity occurs in the winter, which I like much better.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep, as described it will pull the fluid out, it just takes a while longer that thinner skinned critters. Air flow is important to get it drying. I won't home tan another, too damn heavy when pulling out of pickle to shave, I'm too old.

Jim McNamara and 13 point like this.