1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Is This?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Rob43, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Rob43

Rob43 Active Member

I have a life size bear that was tanned by the Wildlife Gallery about 12 years ago. I noticed these things that look like rice on the fur and the fur is falling out. Any idea what these are and why they are there?

bear hide.jpg

2. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

You have bugs of some sort those are the eggs Put it in a bag and spray raid or a bug killer of your choice and tie the bag closed for a few days. To double down when done put it in a clean bag and freeze it for a couple weeks or longer. All kinds of critters chew on tanned skins Good luck

msestak and Robert Baker like this.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Great advice!!!

msestak and Robert Baker like this.
  4. Rob43

Rob43 Active Member

Thank you

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I would spray all your mounts and the room where you have that bear. Whatever bugs are infested there are likely spreading to everything else. It’s not likely to be in one mount only. I would rather be safe and get ahead of a bug infestation. I spray my shop and man cave/trophy room regularly.

joeym likes this.
  6. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

I bug bomb my shop with a heavy dose of bug killer at least every 6 months. Had a infestation years ago and don't ever want to see any bugs like that again.