1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Diy Dry Tan For Black Bear

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by dmac1175, Oct 5, 2022.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I have a taxidermy business but I send my soft tan hides to tannery. I want to learn how to do my own dry tanning on my personal bear I killed this year. I have the best split and turned and in the freezer. Need to know about degreasing. Actually would like a video on it.

2. I do wet tanning, but there is a guy that I truly admire for his tannery skills. They call him The Rookie, guy is a beast on the fleshing machine. He has several videos and lots of information on his Facebook page, he loves tanning bears! He has degreasing videos and messages on his site about degreasing bears. He's a real nice guy, write him if you have any questions. But man you can learn a ton from watching his videos! https://www.facebook.com/BayouBonesandTan

dmac1175 likes this.

3. He also sells plans for his staking machine, if you don't have a huge tumbler or the room for one. I recommend you watching his staking machine videos, and you can buy the plans for $25, he can get them so soft with that machine. I bought the plans, but I'm having a machine shop build the bar. The rest I can pick up on amazon, and build myself. If you want you can add me on Facebook and after you buy the plans, i have several more pictures from a couple of other guys that built them with better up close pictures. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100078388402582

dmac1175 likes this.
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Tru-bond website will help you out. The maker of it is not only the chemist but runs a tannery also known here as ole shaver. Nobody and I mean nobody better than this man’s knowledge. The above person learned a lot here also and I won’t go into a lot of what he did cause on fb but things calmed down.
    https://trubondtanning.com/
    Plus you can read a lot here on bears and what it takes to produce a good skin. It’s not rocket science but you need to take good steps to end up with a good tan.

5. Wrightwaytaxi if you dont mind me asking whats the rough cost of building the stacking machine Christopher's plans? Ive been thinking of getting the plans but dont know if I have the time to do it.

6. "The above person learned a lot here also and I won’t go into a lot of what he did cause on fb but things calmed down" Am I missing something? I probably did, I've been off of here for a very long time, after Michael P left, I rarely came on here!

7. Well the machine shop I found to make my the steel rod with the hollow pipe centered on it, they wanted 450 just for it. I guess it really depends on who you know. If you got a buddy that is a welder, and you can find somewhere to pick up the stuff cheaper. It will cost you a lot less. I'm guessing once I get mine all built, it will cost me a grand. The steel rod with the hollow pipe and the motor are the most costly. But to me a thousand is not too bad, considering what the machine can do. And you don't need to build a massive tumbler that takes up a lot of space, and runs a lot of power. So to me it's well worth it.

8. Aubrey makes a really great product. I've used TruBond before, great stuff! The hides come out pure white, very nice to shave, real nice quality! Aubrey is a genius when it comes to tanning! There's a lot of awesome people out there! That have made some amazing products. Like Stop Rot!! I've practically used most of them, including Krowtann, Pro 1, Trubond, LiquaTan. I have had great luck with them all!

9. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes and because things are better there’s no reason to into it but I’ll say it turned a lot of folks off ! A major portion has been removed from fb but lol I don’t have the time to write what issues were caused. He lost a lot of respect from a lot.

10. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Allot of the info from Bruce rittle is very valuable
    That was the tanning man