1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Many Beetles In An Ounce Oz

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by fadetoblack72, Oct 6, 2022.

1. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

I ordered 2500 beetles from ebay and recieved a package that has 3 oz. of beetles/bedding.
    Going from this post https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/401537/ it seems the weight of just the beetles alone should be 10 oz.
    What do you think? Did I get screwed out of $125?

2. That's a bummer not sure what a ounce of beetles looks like. But I do know what a ounce of @#@%@# looks like! cheech-and-chong-up-in-smoke-blunt-620.jpg

3. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

Yeah I asked him and he said he doesn’t weigh them, he uses a scoop to measure. That’s fine but I’m doubting the fact there’s 2500 in there.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I sent you the link to buy from Ken at Kodiak Bones and Bugs. He does not cheat anyone, you get good, healthy bugs with no mites and he doesn't fill the containers with a ton of bedding and call it done. If what you bought was dirt cheap, now you know why. Separate out the bugs from the bedding in a flat bottomed container and see what you actually have. He says he measures the bugs before adding bedding. Shouldn't be hard to see what you have by putting them in a container by themselves.

That link also specifies a count of 250 not 2500. Big difference.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    fadetoblack72 and wrightwaytaxi like this.
  5. Good looking out SeaWolf! I didn't ever follow the link, just being comical, lol!! Sounds like they got a deal from reading that post! I use cold water maceration, but I might consider getting some beetles in the future!!

6. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

It doesn't seem like $125 for 2500 is dirt cheap. The first batch I got from a different place was $99 for 2000 but I couldn't find that deal on ebay. There may have been 2500 in there but it didn't look like it to me. I wonder how accurate that link I posted is. If its accurate then my batch is way off. I sold a couple batches of 2000 last winter and I used the measurements from that link so if its wrong some folks got a hell of a deal.
    Thanks for the link, Ill check him out!

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Consider using heat. Warmed water takes about two weeks or less to do a job. Cold water just takes too long and it does an incomplete job. It also leaves a lot of the grease in the bone. Letting flesh sit in cold water has also been found to actually preserve it as lactic acid builds up in the tissue which effectively preserves it.

Ken currently has a small batch of bugs 300+ for $60 and 1000+ for $125. You always get more than what you pay for with Ken as he does dump in extras as well as give you all three stages so you are up and running with them fast. My issue with them is, if you don't have anything for them to work on, you still have to feed and maintain them. Maceration doesn't take up any space unless you are working on something ... and there is no maintenance.