1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Paws And Beetles.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by fadetoblack72, Nov 16, 2022.

1. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

Just wanting some opinions on some bear paws that I just put in my tank. Should I just watch the claws and take them out when they’ve eaten the meat around them and they fall off? I think I did this last time then taped the claws with electrical tape and put them back so they could clean them up but I can’t remember. I put 4 paws in today in containers to keep from losing the bones.

2. CJMartin

CJMartin Member

What happens if you leave them in there? i've done three so far and nothing has happened to them except the beetles stole one of the claws and i didn't find it till i changed the bedding. i put things like that on a piece of window screen stapled up in the corners to form a little bowl. i'm very new to this and would love to hear the concerns about leaving them in with

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Beetles will chew on and damage the outer claw. As soon as you can, would be best to remove the last digit with the claw intact. Number them and store in order to make re assembly easier.

4. CJMartin

CJMartin Member

Thanks for the explanation. The paws were given to me by a buddy who was gonna throw them away and i thought it would be cool to see what my kids would do with them.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you want an articulated paw, strip off all the hide and flesh that you can and hand it to the beetles. One thing you can try, is to get a bottle of clear nail polish. Put several heavy coats of it on the claws and see if that protects them from the bugs. Keep an eye on it and don't leave it in there any longer than necessary. If you try to degrease it later, the claw sheathes may loosen and slide off. No big deal if they do. Put them in a bottle of alcohol with some water added and stash them until you are ready to put them back on. Put them back on wet and let them dry in place.