1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Should I Do ?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Clovis Point, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I just got a phone call from a lady saying that someone shot a deer on her property without permission and she had heard that it got brought to me, she knew the guys name wanted to know if I could give her his phone number. She says the name and it’s a customer whom I really like who have mounted stuff in the past four and he seems to me like a very standup guy, older gentleman in his late 60s or 70s, and who has been really good to me (let’s me take my kids to fish in his stocked pond). The lady who called seemed I guess understandably upset but didn’t talk like she had definitive proof that he shot it on her. Said she wasn’t sure what she should do but was considering calling fish and wildlife. I told her (truthfully) that I didn’t have my paperwork in front of me and I was driving down the road that I would have to get back with her. I tried to follow all state and federal fish and game walls and believe that fish and wildlife officers wouldn’t find anything in my shop that would amount to a crumb but despite that I just very much have a strong desire to NOT get a visit from f&w officers. I also don’t have any idea whether I even have the right to give a stranger one of my customers phone numbers… But on the other hand is a landowner I can kind of sympathize because I would be pretty eel if someone poached on my property. I don’t think I’m going to just be able to ignore the problem either. What would y’all do in the situation?

Kerby Ross likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’d call my client and get his side of it and give him her phone # . If he is legal then he won’t have an issue calling her if he is not then he is a poacher and gets what he deserves. I’d tell her to cAll FG and give her side , then if they come and ur client is guilty none of it is your fault as she did all the calling and chit .

Clew likes this.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

None of her business.

She can call the authorities ... and let THEM do their work.

Don't get involved .... until the authorities ask you questions.

:)

Kerby...

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I hate these type of situations. It’s at least once annually on a deer everybody in the county had on their radar. If I knew the client well, I’d probably contact him. If he’s legit, at least he won’t be caught blindsided by false accusations. If he’s guilty…well, that’s another story.

drob, Glenn M and Dave York like this.
  5. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

do not give out his number and do not give her number to him. let her handle it all the way through. if you get involved it can only end badly for you, either way that guy wont be bringing anything to you if you get involved.

livbucks, Keith, NMJagdHunter and 3 others like this.
  6. let the law settle it. I would have the deer and his paperwork at the ready. If she is just assuming and the game and fish go along with her, they will show with a search warrant.
    it should be specific for his antlers and possibly they cape.

Do not allow them past the front under any circumstances. Not even if one ask to use the restroom.

Showers v. Spangler, 957 F. Supp. 584 (M.D. PA. 1997) : have a copy of this to hand them

Get a receipt and a copy of the warrant.

I would let the customer know the accusation and you have to comply with authorities.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If your paper work shows you legally took it in, then you're good. It is not your obligation to inform the governing bodies such as police, fish and game, etc. You are legal, so you are good. I would have the paperwork and antlers and cape together and available for inspection of them and only them. I have gone through this several times and it sucks big time. I would not get involved. I would just react accordingly when they come to inspect the cape, antlers and paper work accompanying them. Don't deal with the lady at all and don't deal with your customer on this. The police will sort it out.

msestak likes this.
  8. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Stay out of it. Ignore it. She can call a warden, not you.

msestak likes this.
  9. webster

webster Well-Known Member

Do not turn over client personal information to a third party,, ever.

Not only poor business practice, but you could find yourself embroiled in a lawsuit should things go south...

/W

livbucks and msestak like this.
  10. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Not saying this is the case here but some folks think because a deer hangs out on their property that it’s theirs even if it leaves their property.

11. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

And that includes hunters thinking they "own" the deer that hangs around their property.

msestak and joeym like this.
  12. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Customer information is private and proprietary. Tell her she needs a court order.

msestak likes this.
  13. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You never give a clients info to anyone. For any reason. It isn't your issue and don't get involved. Just make sure everything in your shop is in order. If you didn't take in a deer from him, you are not involved even more so.

msestak likes this.
  14. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I agree with James, don't get involved. I would tell her the same, law enforcement is not your responsibility

msestak likes this.
  15. qltycapes

qltycapes Active Member

Tell her on the advice of your attorney you are not to get involved unless the game wardens come to you, she should contact the authorities if she has proof. I wouldn’t advise your customer of any of this. That could open another can of worms…hope all turns out well for you.

msestak likes this.
  16. Jenna T

Jenna T Active Member

Sounds like she already has in mind to call fish and game.. Don't call her back, if she calls you back tell her you're not at liberty to give her his phone number... Call your customer and ask what's going on, I got some woman calling about you, and your deer and say no more.. And don't listen to his story, just more questions youll have to answer in a courtroom if it comes to that.

17. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

dont even call and tell him what she said. fish and game might say you interfered with law enforcement.

Keith likes this.