1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Example Of V Cuts On Antler (for Shipping)

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by SolarDeer, Nov 20, 2022.

1. SolarDeer

SolarDeer New Member

UK
    Does anyone have any examples of this? the postage company is refusing to pick up my reindeer skulls due to the packages being too big.

I'm going to give the go-ahead for the seller to cut the antlers above the Bez and wondering if anyone has any examples of this?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I can post a photo in a few min .....

In the meantime, try to envision a cut below the burr that, instead of going straight across, you cut down into the skull and antler base (below the burr) a bit on two sides at an angle so that the antler end has a V shape to it and the skull has the notch where it will fit into. When you drill and put the the pin in place to support the antler, the V cut will have the antlers aligned the way they were before removal.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022

3. SolarDeer

SolarDeer New Member

UK
    I ended up letting them do a V cut above the paddles, I understand it won't be as strong but a V cut under the burr would be very difficult!

Its been cut in an area I'll be able to insert a metal rod without much issue to re-attach considering they aren't very textured antlers and need stained i should be able to hide the seam quite easy.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Use a piece of square rod or the antlers will want to rotate at the cut. Hopefully you can repair them. The proper cut is below. below the bur and just enough to make a notch for alignment. A pilot hole was drilled through the skull, through the burr and up into the antler before they were cut. That way, a piece of steel bar stock could be set in place and the antlers would go back on perfectly.

Tnrandy likes this.