1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Formic Acid

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ranger, Nov 24, 2022 at 4:17 PM.

1. ranger

ranger Member

Looking for local places to by chemicals such as formic, citric acid aluminum sulfate. Any help would be appreciated

2. qltycapes

qltycapes Active Member

Don’t know where your located. hydrite chemical, wedor chemical in Milwaukee, wi. I currently buy my Formic at half price from a guy that gets it from a buddy that uses it for water boring. Citric check with any food ingredients type company that sells to food manufacturers. You might have to buy 50lbs, whatever you do it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than the taxidermy suppliers… good luck

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I use to use formic for tanning for 15 years , Joe Meader was a big fan of it till it almost killed him. I switched to pro 1 safety acid and can see no difference in my tanned products . But I can breath and put my hand in it to grab a cape . JMO.

4. qltycapes

qltycapes Active Member

Safety acid probably way to go, always wanted to try it just never had

5. 13 point

You should there are many benefits, to include easy to get by the gal , don’t have to worry bout your health and such . I changed and never looked back .

6. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

That’s where I learned to tan capes. What happened!

7. 13 point

He got sick , his skin actually had a yellow tint to it . Doctors traced it back to the years of using formic acid , he had many issues. Got away from that nasty chit and started getting better , but has a few lasting issues from it .

8. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

I'm using safety acid now and really like it. Made the switch a couple seasons ago and enjoy skipping the neutralization, per the instructions. I have used formic (liquid) in the past, as well as whatever the battery store sells (liquid), and oxalic in a powder. All of them were a bit more to deal with than the safety flavor.

I think it makes for better shaving and pH level seems more stable.

Doesn't matter what you use, having a means to heat your pickle drum is key. Whether its an aquarium heater or an exterior "belt" type, getting that temp up a little makes it work way better. I've used both, the Tstat in the belt seems a bit finicky.

qltycapes likes this.