1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair Falling Out On Lynx

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by darton, Nov 27, 2022.

1. darton

darton Member

Did a lynx 4 years ago . Guy that had it lives in an old farm house , no temp or humidity control in room he had it in. Last year hair started to fall out on chin. This year head and body. What on earth is causing this to happen ? Mites ? Are all cats suceptable to this type of thing happening ?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I would say bugs of some sort . Set the mount down on table with clean paper or sheet , for a few days and look to see if you have any thing left on sheet from the bugs eating the mount . I would get this away from any other mounts as if it is invested they could move over to them , if you do have dropping on the sheet , get mount in a small area and bug bomb it .

3. darton

darton Member

Thanks 13 point. Only thing salvageable is the form. Everything gone accept 6 inches from toes. Will need to talk to him about what he found on the habitat base.

4. darton

darton Member

I was told that moths and bugs will destroy perfectly tanned and hide pasted mounts. is it recomended that you should spray your mounts with Permethrin every once in a while ? A sawdust looking waste on the habitat scene would be the tell tale sign. Humidity , I think is the catalyst that creates the perfect environment for bugs to take hold of a mount.

5. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

Temperature control has nothing to do with it, I don't have any in my showroom, and have mounts in there over 30 years.
    Infestations usually happen because an untreated food source drew them in, like dog food, bird seed, unpreserved turkey tails etc. remove anything like that and use bug bombs.