1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wanting To Try The Trade

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Steven Herring, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Steven Herring

Steven Herring New Member

I'm looking at getting into the taxidermy trade I've been skinning animals since I was around 11 or 12 years old I've salted coon hides to work with dogs I know taxidermy is a lot different than that what would be a good way to get started I'm more of a hands on learner
    TIA

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Go to Research Mannikins website and order some DVDs. Taxidermy Training Unlimited also has great DVDs. Go to McKenzie Taxidermy supply and order Rick Carter's Mounting A White tailed Deer A toZ. That will give you a feel for what is involved. if you want to get into something, you have to have a monetary investment into it first. Good luck on your new adventure!

msestak likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Great advice!

msestak likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I am a hands on learner also. That's why I bought the videos and forms and eyes, ear liners, glue... all sorts of stuff and practiced on those. I also found a taxidermist that let me come to his shop and help out as a volunteer.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

After all of that join your state association and get involved as they have great seminars plus meet with other members and talk taxidermy

joeym likes this.