1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

training lefties

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by flesher, Aug 30, 2007.

1. flesher

flesher New Member

ive got two shavers to train,both are left handed.would you guys turn the blade around and devote one machine to them,or make them learn making right handed passes like right handers?

2. making left handed people use righthanded tools is the prescription for industrial accidents, thats why left handed people are 35% more likely to be injured on the job

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I disagree. I'm a lefty and I cannot imagine a fleshing machine being set up to work off the right side of the blade. I really don't think that fleshing is a left or right-handed job. I believe we flesh the way we read, from left to right.

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Why dont you have them try each way & see which is better for them?

5. The machine is designed to be used with a left to right pull. If you turn the blade around, you are asking for the operator to overcome the design of the machine. Lefties can learn to pull with their right hand. After a couple weeks, it will be a natural fit for them. They should have no problem learning to use the machine correctly.

6. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i learned on a left hand machine - then when i bot one of my own it was a right hand machine - i am really sure which is which but it only took a couple of days to switch - shuoldnt make any difference if they are just learning - your brain is very adapatable especially when you are teaching it something completly foreign

7. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Make em learn right handed. We have a lefty I trained, around 1990 or so, I forget, but he can shave whitetail full hides in 3 or 4 minutes each, and can shave 10 capes an hour, when he wants to. No, this ain't no BS. I'm not bragging on my training. Some people have a natural nack for the trade, and he has it. It really has more to do with the individuals drive, and hand to eye coordination, than anything.

8. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I'm a lefty - and I shave left to right! Otherwise it's awkward setting up a machine when its really designed to be used right handed! Plus there would be difficulty trying to find a good window of sight as you shave, if its set up the opposite way. Usually the bearing housing is in the way.

Teach it right-handed!

9. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

Same here I'm a lefty , and I shave from left to right . I do fine like that.

10. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I agree Im left handed and havent changed anything on my machine. It seems naturall.