1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Straight 40 Peroxide Or A Combo? * Opinions Wanted*

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Travis Bowman, Dec 2, 2022.

1. So I've noticed a few different ways to whiten skulls and I'm just wondering what difference would it make if I used straight peroxide versus a new to me method of basic white powder mixed with peroxide.
    Is one way better than the other? In different ways? I have my own thoughts but would like to hear yalls before I decide which one I want to go with on this batch of skulls. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before .. navigating this forum on a cell phone is trying at times lol

Attached Files:

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I immerse skulls in liquid peroxide. This oxidizes stains inside and out of the skull which makes them super white. I use Baquacil, which is 27% peroxide.

Tnrandy likes this.

3. Penczak

Penczak Active Member

You want to use as little Peroxide as possible. To much Peroxide can ruin your skulls. They can become chalky, brittle and even fall apart.
    Start with a small amount until you find a solution that works like Joe has. You can use other products to help remove grease.

I'll add and maybe some one else will chime in. But our percentage rate could be flawed. Depending on where it was filled . Meaning my percentage may be different than yours. Peroxide by it self is very very strong.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I will differ on peroxide making skulls chalky and fall apart. What does this is someone cooking their skulls. Beetle cleaned or macerated skulls do not become chalky or disintegrate. If you can submerge your skulls, do so. The whitening will be inside and out resulting in a brighter white skull as well as the peroxide getting into every nook and cranny to sterilize it and dissolve out any remaining little bits. With strong peroxide (Baquacil/Pool Mate 12%) whitening is done in less than 24 hours. Tougher to do antlered skulls without getting the antler bases white and you will have to do touchups for color restoration. Basic White basically holds the peroxide at the surface for it to work without running off. The Basic White itself really does little if anything to whiten. Some people have said they use commercial Talc for the same purpose. Works just as well and is cheaper. Basic White is used to make a goopy paste with liquid peroxide. Slather it all over a skull and try to get some inside as well. Wrap the skull with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out too fast. The thing that will force it to work harder is heat. Put your wrapped skulls in a HOT room or under a heat lamp. Turn them so they don't get burned and get heated evenly. After they have whitened to your satisfaction, unwrap and rinse well in very hot water and let dry enough to decide if they need grease removed. Heat makes the peroxide work harder, not the Basic White.