1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing Heater

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by jerhuntr, Dec 3, 2022.

1. jerhuntr

jerhuntr Member

When degreasing, is your heater in the same water or a secondary tub?

2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

There are multiple ways to do this, I think it's whichever is best for your setup. Mine is not in the same water, I keep my skulls in buckets so I can just change the water out in those buckets when it gets dirty.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Depends on the number of specimens you are working with. Degreasing solutions should not harm the heater. I had a large Allied bucket heater in use and I coated the element completely with high temp silicone as it was starting to corrode after a long time of use. I like to keep equipment as long as possible and wanted it to last for more than a few years. That heated a larger tank of clean water and different buckets with degreasing solutions were floated in that tank. I also work with single specimens in one bucket and I use a submersible heater in the same container. The cost of wrap around blanket type bucket heaters has come down quite a bit. Several users on here have tried them and liked them. I have not yet.

You can also make a hot room. One whole room heated to the temp you need to degrease (120 degrees for deer is pretty warm). Stack your buckets in there and all will be the same temp.