1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fishtank Heaters.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by SolarDeer, Dec 6, 2022.

1. SolarDeer

SolarDeer Member

UK
    I just powered on one that we had lying around, I am aware this is supposed to be in water to avoid overheating

But I'm super concerned on how fast it het up, within about 2 seconds It was well over 36C (Max temp) Yeah.... not really sure if I want to leave it on for a period of time submerged TBH!

2. Jean M

Jean M Well-Known Member

The water will absorb the heat.
    Like our heated water bowl for livestock, when it's empty, it will steam and get too hot to touch, but when full of water, stays just above freezing.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

#1 It isn't meant to heat your hand. The thermostat in it will cycle it and heat the water. Even turned up all the way, chances are your water will not get any warmer than 90 degrees F. If you ever watch one in an aquarium when it comes on, the outer surface of the glass will have small bubbles on it because of how hot the water is right at the surface. Moving water carries the heat away and the larger volume of water heats up slowly.

SolarDeer likes this.
  4. SolarDeer

SolarDeer Member

UK
    Cheers, I'll give it a go I was just super surprised I was turning it on to set it in the water but it het up so quickly I thought it was maybe messed up.

Its an old salt water heater that we didn't ever use our self, It just came along with our tank so I figured better to be safe than sorry.

5. Sea Wolf

The biggest reason for the breakage of these heaters is the huge difference in temperature from the surface of the heater and the water. A heater should never be turned on and then put in water. Never put in water and turned on right away. Never shut off and pulled from the water. Always put it in the water and wait a good 10 minutes for the heater components to acclimate to the water temp before turning it on/plugging it in. If you are going to work with a container, unplug the heater and wait 10 min for it to completely cool before pulling it from the water. Extreme temperature changes will break these in a heartbeat.

SolarDeer likes this.
  6. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

What is the best heater for maceration. I'm using a large square tub (4 deer skulls) I use fish tank heaters. Is there a better heater that is safe to use and dependable. What do you use and where can it be bought ?

7. Sea Wolf

Earl, if you have them and they are working well for the procedure, don't fix what isn't broken. For macerating, the tank heaters are sealed and normally pretty smooth and free of projections on the outside of the case. Anything sticking out is going to be a trap for floating nasty bits in the containers and just makes them more disgusting to handle. If you lose the heaters and want to replace them, see if you can switch over to a round plastic barrel or tub. I will be trying the newer barrel heaters once I kill the tank heaters I have but I am careful with them and most are now well over 7 years old and still in use. Your other option would be to make a hot box on a smaller scale than this and heat it with one of those cheap ceramic heaters. Heat the interior to 90 and set your bins inside. The bins will also heat to 90 or so from just sitting in the heated space. Simply a tightly closed area made from those pink foam panels. Inside is almost up to 100 degrees.
    [​IMG]

8. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

If you have access to an old chest deep freezer, that will work good. Put the skulls in 3-5 gallon buckets of water sit them in the freezer. hook up a heat lamp on a thermostat and you are good to go. I know this isn't the question you asked but it works great.