1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pan Pastels

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jimmy Rimrock, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Started playing around with pan pastels on bird feet. Seem to work pretty nice, figuring it out.

My question is regarding "black wash" coats. When painting conventionally, I would thin down some dark brown or black acrylic and wash it over to get the scale detail as a final step. Doesn't seem to work as well on a pp job, probably due to the fixative.

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I have been interested in trying the myself. They work great on turkey heads and feet. So you are trying to do the scale wash with thinned paint but it won't work or you are using the pastels?

3. Leonard "Tazman" Qualls

Leonard "Tazman" Qualls Active Member

Once you have your desired base coat, use an artist brush in the areas you want to darken scales (like the knee), and apply a pp to the leg/foot. Then take a paint rag/cut tee shirt and dampen it w water...then wipe the pp off the high points leaving the pp in the scales. I think this will get the look you're after. Also, Matuska has some free videos using pp that has some good info. They might even be on YouTube.
    All that being said, you can always do an acrylic wash using very inexpensive paint, watered down. Then a soapy damp rag around your finger to remove acrylic wash from the high points exposong the base color. Good luck!

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

They are.