1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Large Deer Hide — Best Salt Method? (asap?)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Honey the Bean, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Hello everyone!

I have a lovely large doe pelt, and I'm wondering if I should lay it out to salt, salt and roll up, or do the salt & water method (I've read all these online)...

Can someone give me some advice..? It's going to go above freezing here and she needs to be taken care of so she doesn't spoil :(

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Salt heavy and fold hide to hide , set on a plastic or wooden rack , tomorrow shake out and do the same thing , 3rd day shake out salt lightly and hang over a wooden beam , sir needs to get to it to dry it out .

Honey the Bean likes this.

3. I have a dehumidifier, will that help..?

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes always

Honey the Bean likes this.
  5. Sadly, one of the ear tips slipped... so I'm going to have to find a way to fix this problem...

I have people that have given me a bag of "scraps", and could hypothetically *make* a replacement (it isn't a customers, it's my own), unless someone can guide me or help me with some ideas....

The rest of the hide looks pretty good so far, although there are a few parts I'll have to work and deal with shortly.

Any help or tips are welcome!

6. That's too bad an ear slipped. You could always buy some stop rot and see if that helps the rest of the hide from slipping. What kind of tanning supplies did you buy? I use Rittles EZ1000

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You can mount it with slippage on the back of the ear. It’s not noticeable. Happens often on early season deer down here.