Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Joe Kish, Dec 10, 2022.
My Last Rhino - drying out nicely (Sorry, the 'Conversation' route won't take uploads.) Enjoy. Joe
I'm so old I forgot to attach the photo. Here it is:
Also, here's the picture of Henry down under which I didn't know how to send before.
How did you deal with the feet?
If I remember correctly on this one, I jigsawed out the bottom of each foot then substituted a “pad” of plywood the approximate thickness and shape to replace what was the natural pad. I don’t recall how exactly I accommodated the leg rods – probably with a simple sawed slot. Those plywood spacers were then screwed to the plywood bottoms of the manikin which had been cast in - the same as a “head block” on a game head. The feet will not dry, only get moldy if you leave the pads on. Then, Filled in the toes with clay like you would any hoofed mammal. Test fitted until everything looked right. Then the leg rods were cut off flush with the floor. Nothing was anchored to a temporary base because the mount would be free standing.
I then screwed on two scraps of plywood to the bottoms of both pairs of feet. Lastly I drilled a hole about an inch from the bottom and front of each toe nail and ran 2 1/2” inch screws to hold the toes to the scraps so that they would not curl up while drying. Those toes will shrink up if you don’t pin them to the floor. Same with elephants.
This was a contract job I did for B & B Taxidermy, Mike Baird, who brought his two hired hands Travis Frazier and his sister Trish. With a good manikin like I make, we put the skin on in one day. Mike Baird doesn’t mess around.
A few years later this fine mount was literally floating in the customer’s trophy room during the Houston flooding that followed New Orleans’ Katrina. I don’t know how Mike salvaged it but he did.
I hope this was understandable.
Couple of photos for you joe, 4 days to mount it, i made the horns removable with a 50 pound magnet setup installed in the horns, as they can be placed in a safe when needed. Lots of hidepaste, and about 160 pounds of modelling clay, she was an old girl, died of old age at the dubbo zoo in new south Wales, Australia. Thanks for posting up your pictures, i love seeing the familiar faces. All the best joe, Rudi
I can't imagine what it is like to work with a hide like that. Must be heavy as hell and certainly not as flexible and stretchy as more common things. That's where art becomes work. Were the horns on that real or cast? Pity about the flood. I bet a lot of things were trashed and not salvageable.
Brilliant idea with the magnets.
A few more pictures, im getting the hang of this computer thing!
Sooner or later someone will notice the horns on this beast, interesting story behind it, but ill let the observers try and work it out.
I haven't done a lifesize rhino, just a few shoulder mounts. The hide is not as heavy as you think, shaved thin with no hair to hold water. Depending on the tan, US or African, the US tanned skins are pleasant to work with.
forget the rhino lets see that JAG!!
get rid of the Scarlet Macaw (still cool) and put a Black Caiman (WOW)
Reminds me of the Black and the White Rhino I shot with a bow in Africa some time ago. The hide was not that hard to deal with. Made the horn detachable with 2 dowels.
I can’t imagine the groans that were heard at the tannery on who’s going to shave that thing.