1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blacktail Eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jerhuntr, Dec 23, 2022.

1. jerhuntr

jerhuntr Member

For those who mount blacktail deer, which eyes do you prefer? Our "local" deer seem to have really dark eyes. Hardly see any white or pupils. Also the recommended size for the forms is on the smaller side of what's available. 21 to 26mm is recommended but only concave/convex seems to be available. 28 and up, I can choose several quality looking aspheric eyes, but will they be too big? Posted some pics of my friend bambi. He's kind enough to just walk over and "see" me when I need reference! 20191106_150008.jpg 20191106_141344.jpg

2. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Any Dark eye that looks good. Try Antelope eyes. They're pretty darn dark.

Richard C likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I used dark eyes. I used a flash light to see the pupil and marked the pupil with a light colored marker so that I could easily see it to level it when mounting. I used the recommended eyes and forms from Research Mannikins.

4. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Dark, as stated, to the point where its hard to see the pupil without a flashlight. RMI first honest eye, R25-28, or 30's based on deer size with about 20 inch neck as the break point. Like everything, there's variation. The VR is a great eye as well, buy a couple pairs of those as well and see what you like.

eyes are a focal point of any mount and not a place to scrimp on, buy good ones.