1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Having Trouble Finding A Doe Form That Fits

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by akhenenra, Jan 25, 2023.

1. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

Hi folks, hoping someone can help answer a question about doe forms. I have a mule deer doe cape that I worked a little to get, but once I got it rehydrated and stretched out it appears to be way too small for the manikin I was eyeing (from Research Manikins). I haven't found any other mule deer does in any of the other major supply catalogs I have (Mckenzie, Van Dykes, Head Quarters, Matuska, etc). I usually use Krow Oil to get some extra stretch in my capes and I haven't applied that yet, but it still seems like it will be a long shot to fit (measuring just over 6(A) by 11(C) right now). The form I was hoping to get is 6.75x14, so it's a big difference.

I guess my real question is: should I just get a whitetail doe form and mount it that way, rather than trying to force it to fit the research form? Can I attempt to make some facial adjustments with clay and a Dremel to create the slight anatomical differences? I don't have the setup or experience to carve my own manikin unfortunately. This is also my first time working with a dry tan cape, after what I've read I'm a little wary of trying to force it too much in case it starts to tear apart. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I'd mount it on a white tail form. I did that with a black tail I did. You couldn't tell the difference between the doe I mounted on a blacktail form and the one I mounted on the white tail form.

akhenenra likes this.