1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unread subjects

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by Uncle Stuffy, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Uncle Stuffy

Uncle Stuffy New Member

UK
    Ken,

Just a question and I awaiting the barrage of "response" from the other users. My question is this: Is it possible to have box next to the unread topics that you can automatically tick as read?. Having been away for a while, the back log of unread messages have grown and I have flicked through the ones that seem interesting... time is not on my side, unlike Mick Jagger! and the ones that are not, I will pick up when I search the archives if applicable. My second question: is my question just anally retentive because I don't want a list of topics I have not read? Please me honest.

Secondly, sometimes when I view topics, people make reference to the pictures but I can't always see them or See a link. Is this a problem with the system or with the operator (me)

Thank you in anticipation :)

Kindest regards

2. rcb

rcb home is where the heart is, it's good to be home

I do not seem to find that as problem, I only read the post by Jennifer, Just kidding

3. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Uncle Stuffy,

You can "Mark as Read" all messages in a category by clicking on the "Mark as Read" button. If you have looked at everything you want and want to start fresh, click the "Mark as Read" button to clear all the posts from that category. If you are looking at "Show unread posts since your last visit" and click on "Mark as Read", all of the unread posts in all categories will be cleared from your list.

There is no way to individually choose items to designate as read, except by clicking on them.

If you are unable to see some of the photos, it could be due to an incompatibility in your browser to display that type of photo (as Glen mentioned in another post), or it could be that the other host where the photo is located may be having temporary problems. Many of the photos posted here are actually hosted on different web servers.

Or, if you are on a dial-up modem (such as I am on my home computer), many times the connection is too slow to load a post with multiple pictures, and you might get a time-out error.

4. Uncle Stuffy

Uncle Stuffy New Member

UK
    Dear Ken,

Thank you for putting me straight on how to clear it all off. As for the pictures, some come through and others don't appear and since I access them from work (rather than working) then who knows.

I would like to say that I am beginning to get to grips with all the features and I really like the new system, it is much improved from the last one.

Keep up the good work

Kindest regards

Laurence

5. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Laurence,

I was looking at some older posts with missing photos, so I tried to load the photos directly to see what the problem was. In almost all cases, the errors were caused by photos which had originally been hosted on photobucket.com and been subsequently deleted or moved by the contributor.

If someone chooses to move, delete, or rename an off-site hosted photo, we have no control over that.

6. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Stuffy, here's an Old Indian Trick that I learned back when I was a kid. This will a lot of times make the missing photos pop up like mushrooms.

Put yer arrow on the white space where there should be a photo.

Right click yer mouse.

Drop-down panel magically appears.

Choose Show Picture. Click on, Bro!

7. Uncle Stuffy

Uncle Stuffy New Member

UK
    Dear Mr Conley,

Thank you for your wise teaching relating to the "old Indian" you employed for magically retrieving the lost photographs - I will try your trick and see if it happens - is there any special things that I need to wear (other than my fox skin jock strap - with teeth).

Yours sincerely

kindest regards