1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice needed badly

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by nunigirl, Sep 2, 2007.

1. nunigirl

nunigirl New Member

Hello Everyone, I am hoping that there is someone out there that can help me with a problem and how I can solve it. I took a cape in to get tanned through the local taxidermist in town. He gave me a return date and I payed him half of what it would cost. It has now been 10 months and I have gotten all kinds of excuses out of him. The latest is it was lost. How can I go about recovering my cape? Is there something I can ask him about that would resolve this problem? He told me I can come get a half cape for a replacement. I do not want that. Please....Please....any advice on what I can say or do to get my hide?
    Thanks to all that reply to help

2. Geno

Geno New Member

Sorry,but once in a great a cape is lost or stolen.We as Taxidermist carry the responsibility to take precious care of our clients trophy's.If it's a slippage problem we need to be honest about the situation regardless of who's at fault.I'd demand an explanation,replacement or my money back.An alternative is small claims court if conceiveable in your local.On another note always check on the reputation,experience and conduct of your artist before doing business.Good Luck

3. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Ask your local game and parks or dnr to pay him a visit with you .

4. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

It happens, On rare occasions hides, or capes get lost. I am not clear as to weather it is a cape or hide. In any event It may not be at the taxidermist's level. It may have been lost at the tannery. if so There is Nothing you can do, or say to get YOUR cape back. Most people are basically honest. If the taxidermist is offering you a replacement, Take it and go on with life. Unless it is a double bib, or piebald. a cape is a cape. Were it me I would replace your cape. and charge you no more than the deposit you paid. as a symbol of compensation for your inconvenience. Yes, I would loose a few bucks. But I would maintain my dignity, and hopefully a good relationship with you.

5. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Did he say how it was lost? Slippage? Tannery? Shipping? All of which would have been out of his control. If you were wanting a soft tanned hide, most taxidermists would send it out. UPS/FedEx/DHL, etc. do occassionally lose shipments. With the volume tanneries handle, it can happen there too. Sending it to someone else does not guarantee that it won't/can't happen there. I'm sure he didn't lose it intentionally as that would do him no good.
    I am sorry to hear of your lose as none of us want to hear anything llike that, that's not what we are in business for.

6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I don't understand what a "half cape" is? If you mean a short one I would say this guy used your cape for himself. Anybody honest would replace yours even up.

More importantly why are you taking ONE CAPE to get tanned anywhere. In the future do it yourself. There are many products available to do this easily. Krowtan, Liqua-Tan, Mackenzie-Tan. That way you don't have to count on anyone else. If you were do 50 capes or the like I might understand.

7. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    jim maybe she doesnt have experience fleshing down a hide, maybe she wanted it dry tanned?

i would ask the taxidermist what he can do for you now that its lost, i would at least get my money back or see about a new cape. i know that if he sent it out it could have been lost or damaged in shipping or a possiablity that the tannerey burnt down or whatever that wasn't even his fault. who knows.

8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I would reply but George always has the best response to this type of talk...:D

9. gab

gab Active Member

alot of people bring me fullhides to tan and call them capes.This would make sense,in that he is trying to give them a bachide to replace it

10. duckfeathers

duckfeathers New Member

Sorry you lost your elk hide. Look up the taxidermy association in your state and report this to them. While they probably can't right the wrong they do promote integrity in the profession. If the party who "lost" your hide is damaging business in your state the state association may be able to do something. Next time trust in an association member who pledges integrity as a member.